TT choice, new or 2nd hand

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
Hi all.
Long time user on AV Forums but need to dip my toes back in to vinyl...!
Long story short, in a previous life I owned an LP12, Ittok arm and OC9 MC cartridge, fabulous
Move on 20 years, all sold on for peanuts, however I have the itch once again to play vinyl aided by my 12yr old daughter who is fascinated by "real" music playing and not streaming
Looking at options, is it a Project Debut Carbon EVO new or a Linn Axis, Basik arm and K9 cartridge (used), difficult to demo either/both of these, I would be happy with used if the audio quality is there?
Music tastes range from female vocal, light jazz, some rock, Sanborn/James/Grusin/Sample style and whatever the youngster will play.
Would appreciate your thoughts on this (I am erring on the side of the Linn currently)

Thanks

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The Linn Axis is a great second hand buy and by all accounts is not far off a LP12. I had one with a AT VM95ML cartridge on it, at £129 it’s a bargain and sounds cracking. You are probably aware that you need to check out the speed controller I.e. it starts ok and goes the right way and switches between speeds ok, if it needs a nudge to get going or starts running backwards it is a clue that the board is on the way out. Iirc the newer versions have the switch in the grey plinth compared to the older ones where it is inset in the wood surround. I think I saw on one report that it would give a Rega Planar 6 a good run for its money so this places it in the turntable hierarchy.

Happy hunting.

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
The Linn Axis is a great second hand buy and by all accounts is not far off a LP12. I had one with a AT VM95ML cartridge on it, at £129 it’s a bargain and sounds cracking. You are probably aware that you need to check out the speed controller I.e. it starts ok and goes the right way and switches between speeds ok, if it needs a nudge to get going or starts running backwards it is a clue that the board is on the way out. Iirc the newer versions have the switch in the grey plinth compared to the older ones where it is inset in the wood surround. I think I saw on one report that it would give a Rega Planar 6 a good run for its money so this places it in the turntable hierarchy.

Happy hunting.
Thanks @Ugg10 quick response
Yes the later Axis have a selector on board for 33/45 selection which I have noted
Decisions decisions, there are a couple on eBay that are calling my name...
Might wait a while to see what other forumites may think but thanks for the nudge :smashin:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
No problem, I don’t think for around the £300-400 mark you can do much better new or SH in my opinion (your and others may vary).

Oh, and watch out for broken hinges, the plastic ages and the springs break through. Easy fix for around £30 though.

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
No problem, I don’t think for around the £300-400 mark you can do much better new or SH in my opinion (your and others may vary).

Oh, and watch out for broken hinges, the plastic ages and the springs break through. Easy fix for around £30 though.

confusion and back again for more advice @Ugg10
I see there are a number of Systemdek IIX 900 and Pink Triangle LPT and PToo up for barter
Seems a nice Systemdek on there with ADC Alt 1 and Rega cartridge for not silly money, any advice
Biggest issue of course is not being able to listen, and not knowing history/provenance is a challenge
Or, in the mix, wait for the Project Pro to see how that turns out

Would really appreciate yours and others thoughts

Thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom