1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TSU7000 - warranty in the UK?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by carefactornil, Aug 3, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just received my TSU7000 from www.bluedo.com - highly recommend them - no tax/customs! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whilst hoping that nothing will go wrong, I notice it came with some warranty cards to fill in and send back to Philips (in the USA). The forms don't seem to allow for the fact that it's in the UK (i.e. no 'country' field). I'm happy to post these to the US but is it worth it? Again, if something DID go wrong I'm happy to post back to Philips in the USA.

What have others in the UK who've bought the American versions done with regards to warranty?

Cheers!

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Why not contact Philips UK directly - in theory, the warranty should be compatible but these companies often have explicit coverage for particular regions. My gut feeling is that Philips UK will tell you where to get off, sadly.

After all, they don't want us going abroad to get our kit for realistic prices, do they - ripoff Britain suits them nicely... :mad:

Let us know what you arrange.

3. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news on getting your kit safely without customs hassles - congrats! I'm trying to be a bit patient for mine and get it next month. Seen it at B&H (an American retailer not the ciggy brand :) who are about $100 cheaper than Bluedo.

Anyhow I would suggest you send the forms back and if something goes wrong just send it back to them in the US. The only problem is they won't probably return directly to the UK.

L

4. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All thanks to David at BlueDo - very helpful indeed. :clap:

He's just emailed me the following:

"I recommend sending the warranty card in. Logitech has the option to request you ship the remote back here to the USA, but they also have service offices worldwide. "

So I'll send the forms back to the US and hope I never need to call on them.

Having said that, if something DID go wrong I'd be tempted to send it to Philips or equivalent in the UK, banking on the fact that they wouldn't notice the difference (i.e. don't send in the box). I did this with a Canon lens I bought in the US that failed under warranty and Canon UK never questioned it... :cool:

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    There was a warranty card in the box? :eek:

6. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mjn - don't understand your point?

7. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Philips just replied with the following:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that your receipt validates
    your warranty."

So the email receipt I have is OK. :)

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Just to hijack this thread ;) , I have just ordered my TSU7000 from bluedo.com also. I look forward to receiving it later next week. :clap:

All I have to do now is come up with a suitable design and adapt it from my Marantz RC5200 I currently have :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Andy

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    My remote and RF extender was received this morning from Bluedo.com, and it arrived with no extra delivery costs :clap: :clap:

I'd already preprogrammed the remote software on my laptop prior to delivery, so downloaded it straight away, and everything works great. It looks good, and performs well.

Big recommendation for bluedo.com if anyone else is interested in the TSU7000 :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Andy

10. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

whats there shipping cost to the uk ?

steve

11. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Steve,

If you are getting it from bluedo, it depends on what you buy. I got the TSU7000, with RF Extender, and 2 of their own power converters, and it cost me $70 delivery. I think if you got just the TSU7000, it would cost $60.

Check out bluedo's website, and add the TSU7000 to the basket, and click on the checkout button and I think that's where it confirms the delivery cost, prior to you putting in your details for the order.

Cheers

Andy

12. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my tsu7000 from B&H and got stung for duty of £90 because they use UPS who do things by the book! and they add an admin charge for sorting out the duty for you. You can ask B&H to send it via USPS but it then costs more and also it takes forever to turn up.

Regarding warranty, I phoned Philips in the UK and they told me "tough". When I spoke to a manager who told me that should it go wrong I should send it back to US for repair. Realistically this is costly so I moaned on for about an hour and he sent me a UK warranty card.

By the way, whats everyones view on programming it? I downloaded a file from remotecentral from a guy in the UK who sent me some icons to match the layout and he was very helpful, but programming the b****y thing seemed to take me forever, maybe im just a amateur!!

13. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know who B&H are (not Benson & Hedges I assume :D ) but BlueDo seems to be consistently reliable (browsing this site) at getting these things through customs without attracting attention. They use UPS too so it's nothing to do with them, more the "creative invoicing" by the dispatcher that UPS & Customs read. Yes, they could decide to check the box and make sure the goods inside match the invoice on the outside but I'd take my chances again.
    I think the "creative invoicing" is something you have to request (i.e. "please label at "Gift < $10") and don't expect them to acknoweldge this explicitly for hopefully obvious reasons.

Good news about getting the UK warranty though - I'm surprised they caved as they certainly don't have to!

As for programming it ms2004, yeah it can take a long time, but for an IT geek like myself that's part of the pleasure and the reason I got this model in the first place. It's pretty easy to set up and get running as long as it recognises all your devices. The real investment is in the presentation and way you interract with them.

14. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can ask them to send it via FedEx. FedEx is by far the easiest to get through customs. DHL and UPS are somewhat tricky. We've got accounts with all three (for some reason) and we never use DHL or UPS as they are very strict on declarations - ie. if you state $100 you have to pay tax on $100 etc. FedEx generally let stuff through (maybe they give some money to the Republican party, I don't know) :)

The only real way to get around it is to say the item has no commercial value and put a nominal value (because you have to) of something like $20.

Of course this is technically illegal but who cares apart from some guy sitting in a plush office in central London.

I'll be buying from B&H too in about a week as they are about $100 cheaper than Bluedo but I intend to send it to the US then FedEx it over here with the above mentioned method.

Anyway point of this post is if you are getting stuff sent see if they can use FedEx rather than DHL or UPS (incidently UPS is more expensive too).

Cheers

L

15. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Who are B&H :confused:

16. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member