1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tsohiba 32/36 ZP18P and connectivity

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by A mclean, Mar 13, 2003.

1. A mclean

A mclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this high tech TV game and I'm thinking about buying a Toshiba 32 or 36 ZP18 which has dolby digital included and will also be getting digibox soon and DVD player in addition to existing video.

Can anyone help with the following questions :

How good is this TV compared to other more recent models

How is quality likely to compare to buying a £700 tv and 350 home cinema package ? TV for sale at £999

It only has 1 RGB socket - I am assuming I can get round this by using a splitter for DVD and digibox connection quite easily - am I right.

I understand that the tv does not process DTS sound is there a simple way round this if I buy the TV e.g. would a DVD palyer which does support DTS played through the TV / speakers give me DTS sound?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, you won't have DTS from this TV whatever you do, simply turn the volume and bass up a bit instead :D
    If you buy a Toshiba DVD-220 or similar with component video outputs, connect this way, leaving RGB scart for Sky / Freeview ?
    The Dolby Digital performance is fine for low volumes / smallish room but a separate system would definitely be better.

3. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forum!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You do not need as SCART switch box if you buy a DVD player with component outputs (e.g. Toshiba 220). In this case you can connect the digibox to SCART 1 (RGB) and the DVD to components for the video and to the digital input for the audio.

No, there is no way to listen DTS soundtracks. But I don't think it should be a major problem. DVDs containing DTS soundtracks contain Dolby Digital soundracks as well. I do not think that with the ZP18 sound system you would be able to notice the difference (if any).

4. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this set and although I had some picture problems but the sound was excellent for small satalites and at least the sub is independantly ( as true 5.1) variable and easy to switch of if needed. As other I had a tosh DVD via component, and cable via RGB scart.
    My only misgivings is the lack of rotational picture control, if you get a good one no worries, check box brand new and unopened as the set is now been out some time and there must be returns floating around.