1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TS files.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by evolution400, Aug 19, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys I just downloaded the KSY hi def demo to see what the quality was like I can't seem to get it to play at all on windvd or media player VLan player will play it but it stutters a lot CPU usage goes to 100%.
    My Pc should be powerful enough its AMD 64 3200+ 1gb RAM and Nvidia 6200 turbo cache gcard

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Try changing the file extension to .trp then winDVD should open it, I can play 1080i films using that with a slower PC than yours

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I play my .ts files back in Windows Media Player 10, I use HDTVtoMPEG2 free prog to join them, it will also convert them to MPEG, don't know if you would lose quality that way, but it may help with playback?

When mine are playing the nvidia codec pops up in the task bar, and the graphics card is processing the file taking the load off the CPU, is this only with 6600gt's and not your 6200?

lisa

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I tried this on 3 PC's now with nvidia pure video codec and windvd which is supposedly all thats needed no luck at all couldnt even get it to play.
    I installed the elecard mpeg2 decoder which has the ability also to decode transport streams worked 1st time flawlessly on all 3 of my PCs.
    So easy solution elecard and then windows media player or MCE to play your HD clips.
    Also if you turn on AGP fast write you get way better HD performance.

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could try hdtvpump now you have a decoder, this has a plugin for WMP10 and enables you to move about in the transport stream and choose PIDs etc..

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Should be turned on as default for all cards that support it...

7. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well some users experience TV skipping with AGP fast write enabled there are lot of cases on green button. I am not sure if the TV picture is actually better without AGP fast write turned off also........it could be in my head though :)

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Buy a motherboard with an Intel Chipset and an ATi card and you can't go wrong...

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Whoa, bit of a sweeping statement - I bet you could go wrong if you tried hard enough ;)
    And I reckon that there may be some other mobo/chipsets/gfx combo's that may work too...
    lisa

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Well I'd go with an Asus/Intel board using an Intel chipset and a Sapphire Card, very stable combination, all that AMD/SIS/VIA Crap is just too much stress/trouble..., if your going the AMD route get an Nforce board, don't ever touch them cheapy components/manufacturers, that's where the trouble starts.., oh here I got a screen shot to post for you Lisa, I'm running 1080P and 1080i content at the same time while recording a TV show with No dropped frames and I got Max CPU usage of 70%, prettty good don't you think, considering it's only a 2.8GHZ P4, see as long as you stay clear from them cheapy manufacturers and havea bit of knowledge you can't really go wrong, oh and Gigabyte, well I stay well clear of them..

Screenshot

11. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have an ATI 9600 ultimate card and I am sorry to say but for the money how can you beat AMD I paid £60 for a CPU that runs at 2.4ghz which in AMD terms is what 3500+ maybe more.....oh yes and very stable no crashes.

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    :eek: Fighting talk...... and I'm too scared to join in :D
    You are funny, your knowledge is good and you have a helpful nature, but I don't believe that you have really benchmarked every possible combination of HTPC set up and can provide hard evidence for all your sweeping statements?

Nice screenshot, glad you are enjoying MCE - remember it is a hobby, not a competition...

lisa
    :thumbsup:

13. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I had a radeon 9600XT nice card, could run all games on high settigns, but the graphics card does not make much difference in terms of video/HD content playback, I could get similar results with on board graphics and I've tried it..oh and I tried out my friends PC, which I borrowed off him for a few months, it was an Athlon XP 2800, 512MB RAM, Gigabyte Motherboard, well it could play 720P content fine, but it dropped a load of frames on 1080P content, I will never switch to AMD there CPU's do not provide enough RAW CPU power, Intel Make Stable CPU's and Chipsets, I don't see AMD making their own chipsets, and as for Gigabyte, their Bios options are very limited, not much configuring there, Asus are so much better, they allow you to configure almost everythign so you can have your machine set up how you want to use it...and I laugh at your 2.4GHZ CPU, sure it's pretty good at Standard Definition Video Encoding, but it will never match up to my Pentium 4, when it comes to video playback and th use of muliple applications..., well not when I got My Western Digital Raptor in there...

14. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I saw your pic your motherboard temp very hot nearly as hot as your CPU.
    Mine runs at 30% - 35%
    AMD CPU runs cooler at 40% - 45%
    I have the option for more performance just by adding a little voltage and turning up Ghz I am happy with the performance so I dont see a need to go higher but its nice to have the option there if I need it ;) I have an Epox board which I find to be excellent for overclocking and stabilty my PC doesnt drop any frames at all on 1080p oh and I also have a Raptor 10rpm drive 36gb. gigabyte I have never used DFI lan party are a new up and coming board manufacturer which are excellent also. I only use Nvidia motherboard chipsets and as for AMD not making any of their own well there is no need when you have an excellent chipset like the nforce.
    I will probably end up getting an nvidia card in the future anyway to take advantage of the hardware Pure Video Decoding just waiting for it to progress a little more so I can justify the spending.

15. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    AMD's chips are better than Intel for somethings, and Intel's are better for other things. In general AMD handle Integer and general computing better, Intel are better at Floating Point processing. The P4's have been a disaster for Intel, in mind share if not market share. They run unacceptably hot and thus make for noisier machines. Intel have acknlowledged this by effectively ending the futures of P4 cores. The EE edition CPUs are a waste of money unless you find it growing on trees. This is their second major fiasco after the disaster that was RamBus.

Don't take me for an AMD fanboy though, both companies are guilty of obfuscation when it comes to performance and processor speed ratings.

My last Intel computer was when BX was the chipset. I have bought AMD's every since and not had a single regret. nVidia and VIA both make good enough chipsets, especially nVidia.

I've got to say at the moment I would quite happily trade the slight speed advantage for Intel on MPEG encoding for the Cool n Quiet facility of AMD. For my mind an HTPC needs to be silent. In fact with X2 I'd defnitely plump for AMD at the moment. The question is how do I justify my purchase of the X2 3800 later this year.

I've worked with PCs since before they existed and I think spec chasing is waste of time and money. Go for what you need and replace it in 3-4 years. Buy the bleeding edge and it will last you 1 year longer maybe and you'll have paid twice the price.

Cheers

Rajiv

16. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :thumbsup:
    I totally agree :)

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hmm...I got a Northwood Core P4 so it runs much cooler than the Presscot..., I have a Coolermaster 620 ATC case and it only has one rear case fan and two side ventilation slots, but the whole case in aluminium so it acts as a big heatsink, for the CPU cooling I got a basic coolermaster one, which is very quiet, and for the VGA cooling well I went out and got a Zalman VF700 cooler, I use a TAgan TG480-U PSU which draws warm air out of the PSU, and My Raptor Hard Drive sits on the right bay and there is no drive on top or below it, it has a temp of around 50 Degrees, while my segate run 5 degrees hotter and has a dvd drive on top of it. I'm considering getting a newer case which is msaller and has better ventilation....I've been looking at the Silverstone SG01, which is overpriced bt has excellent air flow..

Two Fans blowing in (1 on side, 1 on top), side air vents, 1 fan blowing out, rear air vent for future cooling fan upgrade, also my Tagan PSU will blow warm air out of the System, as will the New CPU Cooler I will Pick up the Silverstone NT03...So total of 3 Fans Pulling warm air out..., should be a well ventilated case...but very expensive, £140 for the case alone, plus another £40 for the CPU cooler and another £13 for an extra cooling fan, it all adds up, but I really want to get rid of my current case, and on this case I can finaly attach an IMON VFD...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video Review of SG01 Case

18. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I myself prefer the desktop style cases I have a Pioneer AMP which is slighly bigger than my coolermaster cavalier desktop case they look nice as a unit if you like the borg cubes though it is nice :)

19. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    slightly off topic but...

Just read this article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/23/intel_fixes_em64t/

Intel forced to add 2 instructions to make their CPUs compatible with AMD. This reminds me of the time they cocked up their regular SDRAM controller when they started backing off Rambus and had to make chipset for the masses.

Don't get me wrong Intel have great engineers and male great stuff, but nobody is perfect all the time and sometimes you need to look outside.

Cheers

Rajiv