1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.ts files

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pinky3003, Jun 3, 2004.

1. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have just downloaded windows media player 10 beta from microsoft...it does play .ts files well ......i know most people use VLC player.....i have in past....but its worth having a look....i like it

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    pinky3003,

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check it out tomorrow, and report back.

Cheers

Rob

3. webbp

webbp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At first glance this looks very slick :)
    Although I cant seem to get it to play .ts files at all.
    It says the format is unrecognised :(

4. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    after looking at my setup i realise that you need the elecard decoder to play .ts through wmp 10 .....you can get it here...http://www.elecard.com/download/ ..... click on products and download evaluation player but dont register...

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    If you do register , probably after trying it for a while, you'll lose the square Elecard logo that appears top right.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks chris

7. Byte

Byte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I somehow get Zoomplayer to use Elecard codec ONLY on .ts files, not on mpeg files?

8. HDNeophyte

HDNeophyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help answering what I think is basic question:

I have been told by some very techie people that to play .ts files all I need is a standard Windows DVD player such as InterVideo Win DVD. Secondly I have been told having a DVD player on a PC will load the correct codec so WMP can play .ts files. However, I have not found this to be the case. The only way I seem to be able to play these types of files is to download a special player, (which also seems to load the correct codec somewhere on the machine, in a similar way to Divx) and then I can play .ts files with either WMP or the third party player.

So my question is....should I be able to play .ts files with a Windows type DVD player, or do I always need to use a special player?

Thanks in advance for your answer. The people telling me this BTW, are supposed to know better. (they work for a HiDef company for Petes sake)

9. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at last i found the right forum pages to ask, using MPC or WM player 10 with the codec installed how do you play a series of .ts files sequentially ??

Does either player tag them together, I have a demo disk given to me and i thought it would play each file in order but can only get it to play one at a time and it seems to loop on one file ??

thanks and I do not think there is a DVD player yet that can play .ts files.

10. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    windvd can play .ts files you just need to rename them as .trp then you can open them in windvd just by double clicking. Turn off hdfastmode as well which is enabled by default and reduces the CPU load but also PQ. Just search the registry for "hdfastmode". There will be two entries change the value of both from 1 to 0.

As for playing files in order just use a playlist. If they are part of the same movie then you can join them using something like HDTVtoMPEG or even just using copy.

11. HDNeophyte

HDNeophyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for feedback. Bottom line...there is no way to play .ts files without a third party player. And...Or without renaming file extensions.

Gee, this is too hard.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I found you can open the ts files from within the playlist screen of windvd.. so you do not have to rename them.

Matt

13. HDNeophyte

HDNeophyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt. Thanks. I tried what you said. For me does not work. When I use the playlist feature, .ts files do not even show up as an option. However, the .trp one I renamed from .ts does.

Seems to me that this medium is hardly likely to takeoff given the complicayions of such a (should be) simple process

14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ah, just use Zoomplayer with custom graphs and you'll be all sorted for all media!

15. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if your convert them HDTVtoMPEG2 surely you loose quality, and therefore the point of 720 or 1080 ?

surely there must be something like a .ts file sticher ??

now theres an idea for you clever programming gurus.

any ideas

16. HDNeophyte

HDNeophyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right...thats my point...if I have to go to all this trouble to play a .ts file, and in the process lose some quality then it seems like a waste of time. Just so I am clear though.....I know of three players that WILL play .ts:

1) VSC
    2) Elecard
    3) Zoomplayer?

These do play at the higher resolutions I trust?

But as most PC users will have never heard of these.....doesn't seem like a road to success to me.

17. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You do not have to convert them, HDTVtoMPEG can keep them as a ts stream and just join the files but allows you to easily split a film over disks either automatically by size or selecting the frame at which to split. It doesn't reencode/transcode so no loss of quality. Also i'm not sure if you will lose qulaity if you make it an mpeg as the video stream in ts files is mpeg2 anyway.

HDTVtoMPEG is essentially one but if you want to be absolutely sure you can use the command line command "copy" to join the files to one e.g.

copy /b "film_part_name*.ts" "film.ts"

18. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You don't lose any quality. Promised. :) The procedure simply converts a transport stream into a program stream by altering the packet structure. The audio/video data within these streams stays intact. Any changes to the video/audio data would require transcoding, a procedure that takes many hours even on the fastest PC.

Cheers.

19. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any idea what the gain from converting to mpeg is then seeing as .ts files can be played by simply renaming to .mpeg anyway?

20. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

In the play file pop up window simply type * then enter and the .ts files will magically appear :lesson:

Having said that my WinDVD6 won't play them.

I use Zoomplayer & the WinDVD6 codec

21. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KILOBULB,

thanks for such a clear description, i will look into HDtoMPEG and have a play. What i was not sure about was the copy command line, is this in DOS ?? or in HDtoMPEG ??

what is b variable equal to ??

thanks in advance its starting to become clearer.

22. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    no probs mate. Copy is a dos command, the "/b" option just tells it that they are binary files. If you just want to join all the files into one big file then it's good enough. If you do decide to use HDTVtoMPEG2 then make sure you get version 1.10.6.

23. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kilobulb,

downloaded HDTVtoMPEG and a nicely little programme it is howver after joining a .ts file to mpg, i got huge pixelation on the file ???

My DOS commands are a little roppy, even with the HELP facility i cant remmeber how to get to certain directories and file names , so if you have any other ideas that would be great.

The tool seemed to crate pixelation in another file and when i tried to create a VOB, media player classic said it could not render it ??

anyway a few questions for the techies or perhaps its just me.

regards, dsp fan

24. Corsico

Corsico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    N/M. I got it. :clap:

25. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Better to keep them as .ts files as you can sometimes end up with the audio out of sync as well apparently. I found this pixelation thing happening as well. Plays fine if you leave it as one .ts :)

26. med94ada

med94ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I am an amateur who joined this forum today.

I use wmp 10 and nVIDIA and can open ts files. I tried to convert from HD to mpeg to get some "continuation" resulting in about 10-12 files each about 1 GB (I assume these are mpeg files). But to open this files will not work.

Would be greatful for any advice.

27. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I found that in HDTV2MPEG all you do is "Add" all the ts files you want to join and then press the continuation button in the top right hand corner (at work so just working from memory :) ) . It was dead easy - much easier than installing HDTVPUMP from DVDPortal, but that's another story....

28. Spoonhead

Spoonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    How do you get to play .ts files on a mac? At the moment, the only success I have is with playing them from WMP 10 on my PC. I have been toying with the idea of getting the new mac mini duo as the look of front row appeals. However, I've had no success playing these files in Quicktime for windows, so assume that this will be the same on the mac?

I've used HDTVtoMPEG on the .ts files I have, but it didn't create just one file, but a number, which seemed to be limited to a file size issue? It also made the files judder when played back ,whereas the .ts files were smooth as silk.

I've tried vlc on my pc, and while it seemed happy to stream the .ts files there was a noticable skip as moved from each file onto the next one. I assume my PC spec (Dual 3.6mhz xeon workstation with 2gb ram) is powerful enough? :D

VLC is also available for the mac, but then I assume front row will be of no use as that can only use quicktime?

Can onyone point me in the right direction or offer some advice?

Regards

Gazza

29. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

use ts merge to join them all then play it as one

30. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

anyone have a link to the beta download cant seem to find it..

i play all my ts files with VLC at thr mo but would like to get wmp10 playing them as im building a htpc with mce

so if i download the beta version and then add elecard decoder it should play them no probs

thanks for any help