.ts and .mkv Files

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sniffhound, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sniffhound

sniffhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Hatachi HD projector. A friend put som HD films on a external 500gb hard drive they were .ts or .mkv files. I have tried to play them with a VLC player and media player classic (with all the codecs I can find). The films play but they break up and the sound is out of sync. I looked at windows task manager CPU performance and when I play the films it goes to 100% and stays there untill I close the files. My Processer is a AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz + Nvidia
    Gforce 6200 graphics card and 1GB ram. Can anyone tell me should my computer be able to run these files or do I need more power. Any thoughts guys?? Thanks for all your help.

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Your setup may well struggle with HD .mkv files due to the extra encapsulation, I haven't tried playing them on a low spec system, should play the .ts though, an Athlon 2400+ used to play them iirc!

3. marchudman

marchudman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Unfortuneately I agree you system needs upgrading to playback HD files.

A 8600 Geforce series graphic card would help with HD play back, they take alot of the processing away from the CPU.

4. sniffhound

sniffhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,
    Does anyone know if they can be converted? I have the HUlk as a .wmv file and this seems to be HD. Thanks again

5. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    There is no way that you could play 720 mkv files on a AMD 1.8ghz, even using CoreAVC codec i couldn't get them to play on a 2.66ghz Celeron the other month or a 2.0ghz Athlon when i was doing some messing about the other week. (and CoreAVC is more efficient than ffdshow which is used by VLCplayer)

And remember, for all x264 encodes when using software based codecs like ffdshow and CoreAVC, you get NO hardware relief from your graphics card.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,182
    I am borrowing a Sempron 3300 2ghz PC and it also has problems with HD. My dead PC (for the moment) has a Athlon 64 3700 2.2ghz and that copes with most HD (just). It cannot handle captured HD from BBC HD.

7. kaidiez

kaidiez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am sure someone posted on here they got 720p working with coreavc and MPC working ok with a similar setup but i may be mistaken. In MPC double check that coreavc is being used.

In option --> filters (from memory I dont have MPC in front of me) make sure you have added the coreavc file as an external filter. While a 720p mkv is playing right click --> filters and make sure ffdshow is not showing and coreavc is listed under video decoder (again from memory - wording may be slightly different) if it still shows ffdshow then click it and an options box will open, under h264 set the drop down to disabled and reopen the file.

If that doesnt help then like others have said an upgrade is in order. I have a 3.2 P4, with a 7600GS and it plays fine but not 1080p, my bro has a 3Ghz celeron and 720p plays fine, is using a similar specced gfx card from ATI cant remember the model though.