Trying to understand screen flicker issue and other stuff

Vendee33

Novice Member
The TV is a 55XH9296. Its only a couple of months old and well within its 5 year warranty. Sony support have been dealing with various issues and I guess it will get fixed but I'm trying to understand what could be causing my problems.

Problem 1 is a narrow horizontal screen flicker on the lower half of the screen which is momentary but is now happening about once a minute. It happens using the built in freeview tuner, when watching TV through my PVR tuner which is connected to the TV through HDMI 1 and also watching catchup TV with BBC iPlayer which is obviously streamed. It doesn't seem to happen when streaming Amazon Prime or Youtube, which is the bit I don't understand. Why is this different from streaming BBC iPlayer?

Problem 2 is momentary audio dropouts when playing audio through my Marantz AV receiver. This happens when playing audio via ARC HDMI 3 or via digital optical. I'm sure this isn't an AV receiver issue as it works fine with other TV sets and it works flawlessly with input from Blu-Ray player.

I also had a major problem with the TV rebooting 3 times a day after a software update but that has been ok after settings changes recommended by Sony.

Thanks.

lemmingth

Novice Member
The TV is a 55XH9296. Its only a couple of months old and well within its 5 year warranty. Sony support have been dealing with various issues and I guess it will get fixed but I'm trying to understand what could be causing my problems.

Problem 1 is a narrow horizontal screen flicker on the lower half of the screen which is momentary but is now happening about once a minute. It happens using the built in freeview tuner, when watching TV through my PVR tuner which is connected to the TV through HDMI 1 and also watching catchup TV with BBC iPlayer which is obviously streamed. It doesn't seem to happen when streaming Amazon Prime or Youtube, which is the bit I don't understand. Why is this different from streaming BBC iPlayer?

Problem 2 is momentary audio dropouts when playing audio through my Marantz AV receiver. This happens when playing audio via ARC HDMI 3 or via digital optical. I'm sure this isn't an AV receiver issue as it works fine with other TV sets and it works flawlessly with input from Blu-Ray player.

I also had a major problem with the TV rebooting 3 times a day after a software update but that has been ok after settings changes recommended by Sony.

Thanks.
I have the same issue with the flicker when using the freeview tuner built into the TV - I haven't seen it occur on iPlayer but don't use this very often. Were you able to get any resolution from Sony support on the flickering?

Vendee33

Novice Member
Sony finally admitted that it knew about the problem. They said it would be fixed in a future firmware update but in the meantime, I should disable "Motionflow" in settings. I disabled Motionflow and it did fix the issue with Freeview although I did still see a slight flicker on some other inputs.

So last week there was a new update available and after installing it, I enabled Motionflow again and the problem is still there. I emailed them yesterday saying that I was sure not every owner was suffering from this flicker so there must be a hardware fault. I told them I wanted an engineer to repair the TV or I want my money back as this fault appeared when the TV was only one month old. I am still waiting for a reply.

lemmingth

Novice Member
Sony finally admitted that it knew about the problem. They said it would be fixed in a future firmware update but in the meantime, I should disable "Motionflow" in settings. I disabled Motionflow and it did fix the issue with Freeview although I did still see a slight flicker on some other inputs.

So last week there was a new update available and after installing it, I enabled Motionflow again and the problem is still there. I emailed them yesterday saying that I was sure not every owner was suffering from this flicker so there must be a hardware fault. I told them I wanted an engineer to repair the TV or I want my money back as this fault appeared when the TV was only one month old. I am still waiting for a reply.
Great - thanks for the update - I will follow up with Sony as the flicker is incredibly annoying and not acceptable, especially in a TV that costs this much!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom