Trying to source a cheap Alienware M15x

Slyboots

Standard Member
Im not sure if this is the right forum but..

I've been thinking of replacing my current laptop for something a little more sporty. I've been reading some of the older threads on the fourm and checking out the Dell outlet but they dont seem to have *any* Alienware systems at all; So Im curious about what would be the best way to get a Alienware laptop wihtout paying the full retail price.

I've heard some folk having some success with buying one over the phone, but Im not sure my haggling tips would be up for that (Less someone can give me a few hints and tips to help me out)

I've considered sourcing one from the US Dell outlet and having it forwarded on but Im unsure how to do that in a secure manner without getting stung to hell and back with custom charges..

Idealy Im aiming for the M15x model with the GTX260M GPU, 4GB (ish) of RAM and preferably with a SSD if the price was right!

Anyone any advice? It would be truly appericated.. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Mark_a

NDC get in refurbed Dells and Alienware lappys.

www.ndc.co.uk

Though they seem to be out of Alienware at the moment, but they're worth checking out.

Regards

Mark

Slyboots

Standard Member
NDC get in refurbed Dells and Alienware lappys.

www.ndc.co.uk

Though they seem to be out of Alienware at the moment, but they're worth checking out.

Regards

Mark

Ah yea, I've seen them on eBay quite a bit, didn't quite tweak to check to see if they had an actual store.. Shall check them out :)

Right, well they have one but.. its not much of a discount really.. £200 (ish) with a slower processor and its second-hand goods.. Not exactly overwhelming :(

Last edited:

Slyboots

Standard Member
I've thought about that, but the issue remains that the price is only good if they deliver and I dont get caught by customs ;)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I've thought about that, but the issue remains that the price is only good if they deliver and I dont get caught by customs ;)

from their ebay store shipping policy: "Alienware Outlet ships via FedEx Ground to the continental United States (excludes Alaska and Hawaii). We do not ship to International addresses." :( sorry mate, and I'm assuming that maybe the same for their main outlet website as well

Slyboots

Standard Member
Doh, but figures.. the Dell US outlet (offical store) doesnt ship outside the US; There are forwarding companies but that strikes me as kinda dodgy :p

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Doh, but figures.. the Dell US outlet (offical store) doesnt ship outside the US; There are forwarding companies but that strikes me as kinda dodgy :p

Forwarding companies? hmm, I won't touch 'em with a barge poll personally. Either a cock up can occur or when it enters the UK, you might get yourself a little bill from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs

Slyboots

Standard Member
Well, I gave Dell another call and was talking with one of their agents for .. about an hour and they finally got back to me with a quote with their best possible discount.. *cough*

Total laptop price £1340.. they are offering me £19 off, So just about.. 1.4% discount (ish)

. . . Just *wow* :facepalm:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Well, I gave Dell another call and was talking with one of their agents for .. about an hour and they finally got back to me with a quote with their best possible discount.. *cough*

Total laptop price £1340.. they are offering me £19 off, So just about.. 1.4% discount (ish)

. . . Just *wow* :facepalm:

that is 'amazing' usually you can haggle well on the phone with Dell but 1.4% is pathetic

Slyboots

Standard Member
I pratically laughed at the guy when he said that was the discount..

But whats a Quidco?

To be honest, after all this crap I might just go for another make.. an Asus or something..

The Alienware laptops dont really seem to be worth the price at full retail

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
Quidco - The UK's Most Popular Cashback & Voucher Site - great site (other alternatives are available :))

its a cashback site. the click through revenue the site earns is passed back to you and they charge £5 year for being a member taken out of your earnings.

so go onto quidco and register, then click through to whoever via their site and buy whatever. a while later (weeks to months) you get paid the 2%, 4% , 105% or whatever is the relevant cashback for the site is

Slyboots

Standard Member
Ahh I see, I poked Google a little and got it worked out.. I can go to Dell, get the same laptop and a pair of those overpriced headphones and its still end up cheaper.. :p (about £25 if Quidco are going to take £5 away)

Slyboots

Standard Member
Thanks all, Went down the Quidco route and got myself a M15x direct from Dell, Tried a few of the other suggestions (including the eBay route) but by the time the spec I was looking for (with a UK keyboard haha) came up, I think it would be a few months given the previous auctions.

So thanks again for all the hints and tips :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
good to hear, let us know how you get on with it! so how much do it all come together in the end? and what spec did you go for?

Slyboots

Standard Member
Ended up totaling at £1313, So with the 10% return from QuidCo brings it down to £1187 (Since Quidco take £5 off) And for that I have. :

M15X in Black
Intel i7 740QM
4GB Ram
1GB Radeon 5850 (Supposed to be faster and lower power req than the GT260M)
500Gb HD

Then a 9-cell battery, Wifi bluetooth.. all that jazz

I would love a SSD but the price of them is.. steep, May see if the laptop can actually take two disks.. :D

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Ended up totaling at £1313, So with the 10% return from QuidCo brings it down to £1187 (Since Quidco take £5 off) And for that I have. :

M15X in Black
Intel i7 740QM
4GB Ram
1GB Radeon 5850 (Supposed to be faster and lower power req than the GT260M)
500Gb HD

Then a 9-cell battery, Wifi bluetooth.. all that jazz

I would love a SSD but the price of them is.. steep, May see if the laptop can actually take two disks.. :D

a very nice machine indeed! :smashin:

yeah SSD are hugely expensive, an attractive option are these hybrid hard drives that provide incredibly fast read/write speeds, have a read here in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/appl...1299675-seagate-momentus-xt-st95005620as.html

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom