Trying to set up Panasonic TH42PX80B with Sky+ and VCR to record

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by j2daleigh, Feb 2, 2009.

1. j2daleigh

j2daleigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently purchased a Panasonic TH42PX80B plasma tv.

I am trying to connect both the Sky+ Box and our VCR to the tv so that I can record programs from Sky+ box onto VCR.

I have connected the Sky+ box from its TV scart port to TV AV1 port with scart lead.

The VCR has one scart port, so I bought a 2-way scart adaptor and have plugged one scart lead from VCR adaptor to TV AV2 port. I have also plugged a scart cable from VCR adaptor to VCR scart port on Sky+ box.

The problem is, when I have Sky+ going and try to turn the VCR on, I lose my Sky+ picture and can only operate the video. This is despite Sky+ being hooked up to AV1 and VCR to AV2. It seems like the tv is reading the VCR as being hooked up to AV1 instead as when I push the VCR on button (on remote) it comes up with 'AV1' on screen, and when I push again to turn VCR off Sky+ then comes back on with 'AV1-RGB'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion would be to get a DVDR.

It seems anachronistic having a high-tech plasma and sky plus and trying to record on what must be a very rudimentary VCR if it only has one scart.

Can you tell me what make/ model it is please?

3. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This all sounds very messy with the introduction of a VCR with only one Scart and is surely where your problems are coming from. I could be wrong but I think the VCR Scart socket on the Sky+ Box will allow the VCR to play 'through' it (via the TV Scart) when the Sky+ Box is in Standby. You will need to test this as I only have a vague memory of this and I could be mistaken. If I'm right then you can connect the single Scart socket of the VCR to the the VCR Scart on the Sky+ Box. This will allow the VCR to record from the Sky+ Box. You will need to test a recording to make sure this works as you won't be able to watch what the VCR is 'seeing' until after a recording transfer takes place. Once the Sky+ Box is in Standby you should be able to watch your VCR playing back via the same AV1 input on the plasma as the Sky+ Box will pass the signal on to the TV via it's TV Scart Socket.

I hope this works for you, but I must say, ditching the VCR in favour of something more up to date is the best overall solution. You would also benefit from a giant leap up in recording quality, ease of use, recording lifespan, access to blanks... etc. etc.

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Whether the Sky+ box is in standby or not makes no difference - pressing play on the VCR will send the video signal into the Sky box via the VCR scart, and out of the Sky box via the TV scart, and on to the television. Press stop on the video, and the Sky TV signal is sent to the TV via the TV scart.

Everything else you said is absolutely spot on though.

5. j2daleigh

j2daleigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both the replies.

Yes, agreed that it seems ridiculous having the old VCR in the first place. It is an LG LV220. Problem is, I recently purchased a Pioneer 410v-k USB DVD player which doesn't have a record function and so am reluctant to fork out for another dvd player purely for recording purposes (unless there is a cheap and adequate option).

I will try your suggestion jw250 as soon as I get a chance.

6. j2daleigh

j2daleigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops - one more reply while I was typing that - thanks Broadz for your response as well

7. j2daleigh

j2daleigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jw250 - have tried what you suggested.

Just to clarify, here is what I did:

Removed 2 way scart adaptor from VCR and instead connected one scart lead from single scart port on VCR to VCR scart port on Sky+ box. No scart cable going from VCR to TV.

Went to planner on Sky+ box where saved programs are stored. Pushed play on the program that I wanted the VCR to record, then turned VCR on (thus loosing picture from Sky+ box and so left 'blind' as to what Sky+ was playing) and pressed record on VCR. Stopped after 30 secs or so of recording and tried to play video back. Nothing recorded. I could see that the VCR was playing though as black fuzzy lines on screen when rewinding etc.

Am I doing something wrong?