1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to run Compositee Video over Cat5 cable???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nytrox, Jul 25, 2001.

1. nytrox

nytrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for a way to run a video signal from a scart/composite source over CAT5 cable. The reason for this is that I already have a home network installed and would like to be able to run all my A/V over the existing Cat5. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what I will need at either end of the connection. There is a company called IPHomeNet that do a similar thing to what I am trying to acheive but I dont wish to purchase one of their "cabinets".

Thanks to anyone who replies ;)

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dunno what connection you will need, but my dad does this for Sky Digital at his Bp office in London. They run composite video and stereo audio down CAT5, usually unscreened but screened is better. The fact that the cable is twistred helps keep down interferance, but you could try feeding it s-video since there are enough wires for this.

For connections at each end you will need to make simple phono to Rj45 adapters, simple as that.

Hope this helps.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You might want to read Intelligent Homes for Dummies (or something like that). I read it a while back. It was the US version, but similair to our stuff. It was chock-a-block full of info like that. Worth a look!
    You can find it at the usual suspects like www.amazon.co.uk etc.

4. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are various products out there that can run video over Cat 5. The most impressive I have seen are the ones from Extron (can't remember the model no.). Very expensive but near perfect transmission - ie no losses. I think they work up to around 300ft.

Another option is use video over IP - there are devices around that sit on your existing computer network, and you just plug in comp video and audio, give it an IP address and away you go. Not sure about this method in terms of reliablity though - pictures can get very blocky as network traffic increases.....

Running the signal as Rick suggests is not a good idea (except for very short runs!) as you will pick up all sorts of interference!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I spoke to my dad earlier, apparently the system they use is by some company that has since folded, and no longer exhist.

It cost around £10k so that ruled at out anyway would I assume.

7. Mike Dickeson

Mike Dickeson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat5e is a 100 ohm cable and video uses 75 ohm so not realy suitable for very long video distribution unless you use baluns or electronic units.

8. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi we sell Audio and Video Baluns, which take an Audio or Video signal can converts it so that it can be carried over CAT5, with minimal loss in quality. All major formats are available, including Component, Composite, Analogue Audio, Digital Audio, VGA, RGB and S-Video.

Visit us at www.madnat.com

Hope this is helpful

Mike

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Madnat are the devices you need. I currently have these on 'test' here, they work well :)

11. hackeron

hackeron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. K-Underwood

K-Underwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem. My fairly new house was wired with cat 5 before the wireless technology became popular. I used some video balun transceivers to make the conversion. I got the idea off my brother who installs security cameras. He uses cat 5 and baluns as he finds it works better over long distances.