Trying to revive a projector

johnc86

Standard Member
Model to follow, Its a compaq. It was my dad's and I used it in my bedroom when I lived at home. One day my girlfriend turned the power supply off without doing the proper switch off and it went bang if my memory serves me correct. I dont think its just the bulb because it wont even power on. I have checked the fuse in the plug and replaced it with a new one and its not that.

Im wondering if there is something that sounds obvious to someone who knows about these. Is there a fuse inside that could possibly need replacing or some sort of breaker? If these are daft questions then I appologise, Im just trying to think what might be up with it as it wont turn on at all.

Any help much appreciated.

jacko5

Model to follow, Its a compaq. It was my dad's and I used it in my bedroom when I lived at home. One day my girlfriend turned the power supply off without doing the proper switch off and it went bang if my memory serves me correct. I dont think its just the bulb because it wont even power on. I have checked the fuse in the plug and replaced it with a new one and its not that.

Im wondering if there is something that sounds obvious to someone who knows about these. Is there a fuse inside that could possibly need replacing or some sort of breaker? If these are daft questions then I appologise, Im just trying to think what might be up with it as it wont turn on at all.

Any help much appreciated.
Turning it off athe mains without the proper cool down could have destroyed the lamp, especially if it had already done many hours.
When the lamp fails, I wonder if the PJ is designed not to power on until the lamp is replaced. Just a thought.

johnc86

Standard Member
Thats an idea, anyone else got any suggestions?

The model is compaq mp1400 microportable projector

series no: pe1300a

manufactured 08.2001

johnc86

Standard Member
The lamp is a L1551A. The bulb itself says orson on it though so Im a bit confused.

Iv had it out and had a visual inspection but there is nothing obvious wrong, I supose there is no way of telling though. I tried powering up without the unit in it but is totaly dead.

Last edited:

bonzobanana

Hopefully you haven't blown the bulb but it is a possibility. The first thing to try is replacing the internal fuse. The way projectors are built a lot of circuitry is shoe horned in. Normally there is a pcb at the top once you open it that needs to be removed and the psu board is below but obviously this varies depending on projector. The one you are most interested in is the psu board next to the mains cable input. Hopefully its there. Either the fuse clips in or is soldered to the pcb. Once tested with a multimeter and assuming its blown head off to maplins for a replacment. With any luck its that simple.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom