trying to redirect sound to my Subwoofer , need help

s8n

hi members , the shipment for my Velodyne Impact 12" Sub arrived last week and i got it today. I am trying to direct the sound from my Denon Receiver to the Sub without success. I had another thread about this and apparently it can be done

Question - use a Subwoofer with movies ( DVD's ) that have 2.0 audio ? , possible ?

My setup is below

-Denon AVR-X1100W 7.2 Integrated Network AV Receiver
-Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Bookshelf Speakers
-Velodyne Impact 12" Subwoofer

ok what happens the Sub doesn't turn on from Standby ( solid red LED ) from the manual it says it will turn on when audio is present. I do have the Sub connected to the Subwoofer out on my Denon and it is connected to the Sub's input with a Y cable.

s8n

ok i made some progress..............

if i got in to Setup Assistant in my Denon Receiver and i run a test for the Subwoofer it turns on and outputs a test sound which is great. I'm still having trouble directing bass to the Sub tho for movies and video games.

what i'm trying to do is use my Monitor Audio's as a 2.0 and direct bass to my Velodyne Sub. It seems to be a configuration issue as the Sub does work in Setup Assistant.

s8n

some more progress.......

if i set the Crossovers in the Denon menu to 250hz the Sub will turn on but still no sound. I'm beginning to think this Receiver can't redirect. I really need some help on this situation i'm out of ideas.

edit

looking at the Denon manual it looks like it can do what i want it to , check it out below.

Bass AVR-X1100W

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
As you only have two speakers and a sub you need to set Fronts to Large and Bass to LFE+Main.

Ideally, you'd set them to Small, Bass to LFE but I don't think the Denon will let you do that with only two speakers. If it does, great.

Last edited:

s8n

hi Jase , i've been trying for hours on this and i have tried your suggestion as well. Unfortunately no luck , i've tried different sources to my Denon.

-Rega DAC
-PC Sound Card
-Playstation 2

Sub is set to 80hz

Denon.......

-Subwoofer is enabled
-Subwoofer level is +12.0dB
-Front Speaker Crossovers 250hz
-Bass , Subwoofer mode LFE+Main
-Bass , LPF for LFE 120hz

Jase

Distinguished Member
What are your Front speakers set to? Small or Large?

The Sub at +12db is too high as well. Dial that back to 0db until you get it working properly.

You also want the Crossover on the Sub itself set to the Maximum i.e 200hz. Phase to 0. Volume about halfway.

Also, what mode are you listening to on the Denon. Stereo, Direct? Use Stereo rather than Direct whilst getting things set up.

Last edited:

Abacus

Banned
You shouldn’t need a Y connector for your sub as it should have an LFE input, so get rid of it.

Follow the instructions with the sub for LFE use, and then use the auto setup program (Calibration) in the Denon, which should set everything up for you.

If it has setup memory options then use one with the front speakers set large and one with front speakers set small, (NOTE: you will need to run the setup program for each setup memory) to see which you prefer.

Most subs also come with a lead that has a jack plug on each end, which can be plugged in to control the on/off of the sub. (You will need to check the instructions of the receiver and sub to set this up)

Hope this helps

Bill

s8n

Front speakers are on Large and i have just dialed the Sub dB to +0. I also set the Sub Crossover to 200hz and Phase to 0.

still no sound from the Sub tho......

Jase

Distinguished Member
Front speakers are on Large and i have just dialed the Sub dB to +0. I also set the Sub Crossover to 200hz and Phase to 0.

still no sound from the Sub tho......

What mode is the Denon in? Stereo or Direct?

As suggested by Bill above. Have you run Audyssey?

s8n

Y cable has been ditched and i'm using the LFE in on the Sub. Ok just ran Audyssey and there is some audio coming from the Sub but it is quite low.

btw the Denon is in Stereo mode and not Direct...........

s8n

i have been tweaking a bit and i've got some neat sound but it needs way more refining.

Audyssey

-Speaker Config / Front / Large
-Crossovers 60hz
-Distances all around 1.50m
-Front L -7.0dB
-Front R -5.0dB
-Subwoofer - +1.2dB
-MultEQ XT Reference
-Dynamic EQ Off ( my selection during Audyssey setup )
-Dynamic Volume Off ( my selection during Audyssey setup )

at this point i'm stoked it's running , thanks to both of you for your persistence i'm really happy with it. I will be tweaking and tweaking to get more out of my setup

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd leave it at that but just switch between LFE and LFE+Main to see which you prefer. LFE+Main would be my choice personally. I'd also just stick to the Stereo mode so Audyssey is used and then tweak the SW Channel Level. Direct usually bypasses Audyssey if the Denon behaves like my Marantz.

s8n

roger that Jase i'll give it a shot , thanks again for yours and Bill's input i really appreciate it.

i might grab something to eat i've been working on this since about 12PM but it's been worth it.

keep rockin guys

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom