• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trying to record via USB memory stick on my Humax HD-FOX T2 but not working?

I have had my Humax HD-FOX T2 for ages and only just found out it can record via USB. I have updated it to the latest firmware and just formatted a 8GB USB stick to Fat32 to test it before ordering a larger one. It reads the stick fine but it just wont record!!!

Any ideas why not!? maybe it only does it from an external powered hard drive maybe?

Thanks!!

:) :thumbsup:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Needs a proper hard drive (there is a minimum size required especially if you turn on timeshifting). Will work with some usb powered drives depending on how much current they take. A 500GB one should be OK.

The box has to format and partition the drive itself (Linux EXT3), before it can be selected as the recording drive.

Additional manual for the pvr function.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/products/new_manual/AG_HD-FOXT2_100GB.pdf

Last edited:

lbear

Prominent Member
By the way, get a "desktop" hard drive rather than a "portable" one. The former are generally cheaper and have their own power supply bricks. Although this means another socket taken up, it means there is no drain on the USB power from the Fox T2. There is a maximum power demand rating for this and not all portable drives draw below it so some do not work.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
By the way, get a "desktop" hard drive rather than a "portable" one. The former are generally cheaper and have their own power supply bricks. Although this means another socket taken up, it means there is no drain on the USB power from the Fox T2. There is a maximum power demand rating for this and not all portable drives draw below it so some do not work.

Not really very good advice, this means the drive will be powered all the time.

I do have a 1TB powered drive on my HD FOX T2, I use a usb hub one output is used to control a usb controlled power controller which turns on the drive power when the box wakes up to record. I doubt any recent usb self powered drive using 2.5" laptop drives will not work.

As for cheaper, how much cheaper do you want.

Random example

Buy WD Elements SE Portable Hard Drive - 500GB, Black | Free Delivery | Currys

How much will a 500GB 3.5" Desktop drive cost, add this the cost of a usb enclosure and a means of turning the drive power on/off with the box.

Interested to see if you can do this for around £40.00 and on top of this you can use usb powered hub anyway.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Posted in error

Last edited:

lbear

Prominent Member
Graham. My (like many, many others') experience with the Foxsat HD makes me wary of tempting fate with Humax power supplies. Powered up does not mean the drive is constantly spinning.

And if you would like me to beat that for a 500Gb portable, how about £36.85? (If you use their current 1 week offer of 10% off everything by using discount code SPRINGSALE

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom