Trying to record DVD from VHS recorder

glenbelt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully someone here can let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a VCR recorder. I want to transfer a tape to a DVD.

I have a DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-ES10).

I've got a scart cable from the VCR EXT 2 and inserted it into the back of the DVD recorder (AV1 (TV)).

I've got a scart cable from the VCR AV1 which is going to the back of my TV.

So I was watching the video and I pressed record on the DVD recorder and it looked like it was working. The video was playing on the TV. At the end I ejected the disc and stuck it in my computer and it wouldn't play it.
When I played it back on the DVD recorder it was just fuzzy black and white (as if I was watching the end of a VHS).

Have I got the scart leads mixed up perhaps?

Thanks for any help, hope it makes sense. Can take a photo of the setup if needed.

If you are watching from vhs scart to tv all you know is whats happening with the vhs not the rest of the circuit. So vhs to dvd then dvd to tv. if you can see picture and sound you know everything ok. However there may be copy protection!

Thanks for the reply.

Okay so are you saying that even when the DVD isn't recording, but the VHS is playing, I should be getting VHS sound/picture on the TV?

I've now got my scart lead going from VCR to DVD recorder and another from the DVD recorder to the back of the TV but when a video is playing there's nothing being displayed on the TV. I'm on the right channel though because it shows the DVD screen...

Any other ideas what could be wrong?

Edit...

When I press Ext. Link on my DVD recorder remote whilst a VHS is playing it does show the video and sound. However I can't just press record because when I do Ext. Link it says Goodbye on the device and I guess shuts off. If I again press Ext. Link the VHS output/sound will stop and I'm taking back to the DVD menu screen.

Any ideas?

How many input does your dvd recorder have? make sure you are swiched to the correct input. Try each one.

First of all, you have your scart leads round the wrong way!. The one marked TV on your DVD recorder should go to your TV:smashin:

Secondly, it sounds like you are trying to copy a commercial VHS which has Macrovision Copy protection, hence the reason you are not getting a picture.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I'll test it out with another video in case it was protected as you said.

Not sure how many inputs my DVD has...
I took a photo of the dvd recorder/vcr behind and the remote control... may be overkill haha, thought it may help if this doesn't work though. They should be attached below. (Scart at the top is heading to the TV, second scart is going to the VCR at the bottom).

Thanks again

Attachments

• scart leads.jpg
    scart leads.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 172
  • remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hi still having an issue with this.

When I'm playing a VHS are you saying that I should be able to see the picture/hear the audio through my DVD recorder?

At the moment when I have a video playing on the VHS and my DVD recorder is on, I just get a grey screen from the DVD recorder. Only when I press "Ext Link" on my DVD recorder remote does it show the VHS playing.

Ext Link seems to power off the DVD recorder, so its not possible for me to press record after I've done this.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hi,

Check that the scart socket on the vcr is an output (look in the manual).

Leave the external link alone_ it's nothing to do with it.

Edit: I've just re-read your first post .... AV2 on the vcr is only an input to the vcr. You should connect the AV1 output scart (on the vcr) to the AV2 input scart on the dvd recorder.

Presumably you've selected the correct input on the dvd recorder. Input selector is the button next to the 0 button on the remote. Pressing it cycles through the inputs on your dvd recorder.

Assuming all your connections are OK, a grey screen on the dvd may be due to the wrong type of video input being selected. Go into the "setup menu" and change the AV2 input settings so that the input is set to video. Your vhs will only output a video signal.

Hope that helps

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian.

I've just managed to get the picture by doing what you said and recorded it to DVD.
Tried putting the DVD in my PC but it wouldn't load it. Then tried my DVD player downstairs and it wouldn't play. But it plays it on the DVD recorder that I used to record it!

Any idea why?..

Hi,

If it's a dvd-r disc you need to finalise it to allow it to play in other players.

There should be a menu somewhere for dvd management.

Brian

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom