Trying to pick a 2nd hand receiver with pre-outs

WiseNormsk

Hi all

Finally upgrading my AV Receiver from a Denon x2700, because I need something with pre-outs in order to add a decent amp to drive my KEF LS50 Meta fronts.

Speakers:
Kef LS50 Meta
Kef R2C
SVS PB1000 Pro
Rears TBC - probably KEF T101 for gf aesthetics!!
Ceiling Atmos TBC - some form of KEF in-ceiling

Planning to add in a Lyngdorf 1120 as an integrated amp to power the LS50s, and play music from (Spotify, vinyl).

Not really sure what AV receiver best suits my needs among various previous models And price points. Hyperfi seem to have a wide range of refurb Denons at decent prices from the past few years I.e. a 6500H for £1300.

Considerations
  • pre-out as mentioned above
  • Great sound??? Have only ever owned budget end denons, previously x2300 now 2700. Assuming ill really notice a few notches up in movie viewing?
  • At least 7.1.2 (one day ill be building full atmos but likely would be getting new receiver anyway at that point)
  • eARC (very sensitive to HDMI delay)
  • Not too fussed about HDMI 2.1 - only use a few sources (Apple TV and PS5) and prefer them going straight into LG GX rather than via receiver. So receiver is just taking Audio in. Unless I’m missing something here….
  • Have never looked at non-Denon options, but I’m not tied to them, they always just got great reviews.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

gibbsy

I have a Denon X6500 which has a full set of good pre-outs. The X6500 is a very good amp and if you can get a good one it could be a wise investment. I also ran a Rega Elicit-R connected by front pre-outs and set up was simply plug and play, the only thing needed doing was to re-run Audyssey.

The jump from the X2700 to the X6500 audio quality wise will be quite big. Better Audyssey, mono block amps, power delivery as well as the excellent AL32 processor (not to be confused with Audyssey XT32).

WiseNormsk

I have a Denon X6500 which has a full set of good pre-outs. The X6500 is a very good amp and if you can get a good one it could be a wise investment. I also ran a Rega Elicit-R connected by front pre-outs and set up was simply plug and play, the only thing needed doing was to re-run Audyssey.

The jump from the X2700 to the X6500 audio quality wise will be quite big. Better Audyssey, mono block amps, power delivery as well as the excellent AL32 processor (not to be confused with Audyssey XT32).
I’m wondering with the lyngdorf pushing the fronts, would I be getting a big benefit above something like the 4500? Difference seems to be around 400 (c900 vs c1300) which I wouldn’t sniff at saving, but equally wouldn’t be annoyed at spending the extra if improvement is marked….

Jester1066

I have the model down from @gibbsy - a Denon 4500 - this also has the same AL32 processing as the 6500, along with a full set of preouts. It has slightly less power vs the 6500.

IIf you have a Lyngdorf powering the front 2 speakers, I think a 4500 or even a 3600 (not the 3500 though), would be great.

In fact I'm looking at potentially adding a TDAI 1120 to my setup. Currently have an Audiolab 6000A in use for the front speakers (in the same way gibbsy used his Elicit R).

gibbsy

Quite a few members run the Lyngdorf with various Denon AV amps to some success. With am emphasis on the stereo sound for music any stereo amp is going to be an improvement on any Denon (save for the X8500 perhaps). As with any second hand kit condition is king. If you buy from a recognised dealer then talk about a warranty period.

Zarf2007

If you wanted to go for a different sound signature, these are a bargain and have everything you want except eARC (has arc):

supports 4K up to 60hz, HDR/Dolby Vision/HLG along with all dolby and DTS sound formats including atmos and DTS:x. It’s also licensed for one of the most advanced room correction systems (Dirac).

RRP £2k, has same innards (except amplification) as the Arcam 850 which has a RRP of £4500, read review here:

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
3700 and above have all channel pre amp mode which is useful if you want to have all dedicated poweramps and not using the denon own amps. It improves pre out

WiseNormsk

If you wanted to go for a different sound signature, these are a bargain and have everything you want except eARC (has arc):

supports 4K up to 60hz, HDR/Dolby Vision/HLG along with all dolby and DTS sound formats including atmos and DTS:x. It’s also licensed for one of the most advanced room correction systems (Dirac).

RRP £2k, has same innards (except amplification) as the Arcam 850 which has a RRP of £4500, read review here:

This is tempting but I‘m reallyyy sensitive to audio delay (sold a powernode because of it) and hated trying to dial in delay settings for different things on my old receiver. thats made eARC a bit of a must have, just for piece of mind!!

password1

Distinguished Member
Alternatively, a Beresford unit to allow switching between the AVR and a dedicated stereo amp would work.

Pound for pound a dedicated stereo amp will outperform an AVR costing more.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom