Question Trying to narrow down the problem.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by klopek007, Jun 20, 2015.

1. klopek007

klopek007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all, first post here.

This is a diagram of my home set-up, which has worked fine for years.

[​IMG]

Recently, I randomly started having multiple separate problems on the same day. I'm wondering if the HDMI cables are the issue, and if there's a way to clean them.

Both the TV and the monitor stopped picking up a signal from the computer. I took apart the computer and splitter to blow the dust out. Still didn't work. If I remove the splitter, and just run HDMI directly from the computer to either the TV or monitor, it works... sort of. It actuallys cuts out easily, until I reach behind the computer and wiggle the cable in the port.

On the same day, I stopped getting any video on the TV from either the cable box or Wii U. Just audio from the stereo speakers. The TV has two HDMI ports, I tried them both. If I bypass the receiver and run HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV, it works for a few seconds, but keeps cutting in & out. It does slightly better with one port than the other. I took apart the receiver and TV to blow dust out, and blew dust out of the cable box as best I could without removing the cable company's tamper-tape. Still no video through the receiver, and a slight improvement if I bypass it.

The Gamecube, with its RCA cables directly into the TV, works just fine.

Please help!

The brands, if it matters:
    Computer & monitor: Dell
    TV: Sharp
    Receiver: Pioneer
    Cable box: Scientific Atlanta
    Splitter: unknown, purchased from MyCableMart

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Could the problem be your Graphics Card ?

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    My guess would be it is an issue with the tv hdmi board. Highly unlikely all the cables would fail at the same time. The tv appears to be the only common element with what you have tried.

4. klopek007

klopek007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking it's more hardware than the graphics card. If there's no picture, I tug the cable head upward on the end that goes into the tower, and then the picture is perfectly fine. If the tower is disturbed at all, I lose it again. Problem with the HDMI port maybe?

Yeah, it's only gotten worse since I posted this. I went to switch the input, and now it makes on & off noises while the power light remains on, and the screen stays powered off (not just on & blank, mind you, but totally powered off). Is that worth repairing? Or should I just spring for a new TV? It's from 2008, and I was really hoping to wait until I move and start a new job (hopefully soon) before going bigger & smarter.

At least that's part of the mystery solved, but I still need to figure out the splitter-to-monitor issue.

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Can you borrow a TV from someone to see if the problem disappears.

6. klopek007

klopek007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll ask around at work tonight.

7. klopek007

klopek007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the TV is all disconnected and ready to go to Geek Squad, once it stops raining anyway.

As for the other problem, I was in the middle of something when suddenly the monitor went blank and displayed the message below. So I don't think the splitter is the issue. I think I have a bad HDMI-out on the tower. Once again, it fixed when I tugged on the cable. I'm really hoping it's an easy fix.

[​IMG]