Trying to ID local trouble maker after threat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bluedroog, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I won't go in to massive detail as I have just given a statement to the police but I've been involved in a very unsettling incident.

Cut a long story short...was walking to a tube station on my way to work one morning when an unsavory character cycled towards me from the opposite direction in the middle of a narrow pavement at some pace making no attempt to avoid me. I braced a hand close to my body to avoid his handle bar hitting me or getting caught in my jacket. A few seconds later he's perhaps 7 meters behind me shouting aggressive abuse at me.

I shout back suggesting he just 'walk' away as I attempt to do the same by turning back the way I was heading expecting him to get a last insult out and do one....but no. I now have a highly aggressive, shady character complete with his hood up and fuzz over his top lip spitting with rage shouting "effing fight me", I again attempt to go our separate ways but now he's walking towards me, shaping up for a physical tear up saying "nah, nah, nah, we're gonna fight"

This is all happening at a red traffic lights with many people watching on from their cars by the way. Anyway, it is abundantly clear that first thing in the morning, me, middle class, friendly guy in my mid thirties either has to try and outrun a bike or reluctantly engage. I really don't want to get in some fist fight with anyone, let alone some hooded thug with half a brain cell but have a few seconds to make my move so as soon as he got within striking distance I get him in a headlock and take him to the ground, push myself up and am standing over him on the pavement with my foot on his midriff to pin him there.

Even at this point I'm still telling him to walk away in the most civilized way the situation allows while he's still a giving me the most vulgar threats etc. With him on the ground I make my exit and briskly head towards the station.

I keep checking behind me every few seconds and a short while later see him circling around on his bike about 30 meters behind. Then, menacingly the only time during the confrontation he's completely silent and about a minute after I've left the initial location I turn to check again and he's cycling up behind me about 7 meters away with a modern house brick in his hand. Not surprisingly I freak out, run in to the road where there is still traffic sitting and jump in to the back of a complete strangers car and shout at him what's happening. The guy circles again looking for which car I got in and when he finds me much to my dismay he manages to open the door on the other side of the car. I manage to pull it back and lock it but the window is also part down and he's stalking the stationary vehicle making all sorts of nasty threats, that he'll remember my face etc, he also looked like he was trying to call some people and I think he's potentially a gang member or at least is among a nasty crowd.

I took the opportunity from the safety of the car to take some pictures of him on my phone and got some decent shots, the downside was it gave him the same idea. I tried to cover up but he'll have some partial close ups of me and maybe a clear one, I just don't know. Finally I got away.

However I am quite shaken up by this. It was a few hundred meters from my house bang in the middle of my home and route to work, even this idiot might work out I was heading to the tube and on my way to work as part of my routine. He's a guy prepared to hit a guy on the back of the head with a brick and probably has my picture, he'll clearly remember me if our paths cross. He likely loiters locally on a bike so if he does spot me I'm in trouble.

The police now have my statement and a good picture of him so I'm hoping he'll be known to someone, if he knows he's been identified I'll feel a whole lot safer. I have faith in the police to do their thing but them telling me not to worry isn't going to help. I have been a nervous wreck heading in or out of home and losing sleep over it. I went a long route to work for a few days then attempted to go my usual way and just couldn't do it.

Any ideas on steps I could take? I doubt the police would give me an indication of where he lives but I'd like to have an idea of which side of me he lives so I can avoid it for a while where I can or be more vigilant. I asked in my nearest newsagents if they recognised him and unfortunatley he said he's been in a few times.

I thought about anonymously posting his picture on some local facebook groups to see if he's know in a particular area but not sure if that is a good idea.

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Reverse google image search? See if his facebook or other social media account comes up that might give an indication of where he lives? (his name might even pop up in local newspaper articles if he's been in trouble before).

Google Images
    Click on the camera icon
    Untitled.jpg

3. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Shame you didn't KO him when you had him on the ground. You were clearly physically superior to him despite his mouth. That would've stopped his efforts. If you see him again give him what he wants and kick the chit out of him. Other than that I can't really give advice. Good luck.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,728
    NOT good advice IMHO.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    Yeah.... nah definitely do not do this

Chances are he's on Facebook being young and no doubt people who know him will give him the heads up and he'll come looking for you again...along with a group of mates looking for the creep taking pictures of him

Three options really bang him out or get banged out, run fast enough to evade him until police show up next time he bumps into you. he already now perceives you as a soft sh*te by running and hiding so will target you every time he see's you.

You see telling him to walk away was a test of how big his stones are in a confrontation...you should have probably just walked away ignoring him first time round there's no middle ground with idiots that scream at random strangers in the street.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Did cross my mind but it isn't like advanced facial recognition software, my snap won't find him.

7. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I would leave it to the police. Sounds like he lives local so try and keep a low profile for a few weeks and hope you don't bump into him, hopefully it will all blow over. I wouldn't put anything on Facebook as chances are he will see the post and you have then given him a link to your Facebook page and that could escalate things.

8. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Hear what you're saying but doubt they be members of these sort of community groups, more about giving away top soil or lost a cat.....often people report local trouble too, not pictures though.

9. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,313
    This situation is pretty bad to be honest! I agree (although not intentionally) by telling him to keep walking, he took that as "keep walking away or you're in trouble" so he challenged you back. You then grabbed him and knocked him down in front of an audience which was probably hugely embarrassing and have now contacted the police which is a real problem as toe rags tend to have lots of friends so if he gets in trouble as a result, they will make your life pretty unbearable. No winners here really!

Depending on where in London this happened, I might be able to help you identify the guy.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,728
    If he makes a habit of this he'll be hunting for another victim soon enough. Don't give him any reason to continue looking for you.

11. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    Nah I'd keep it to a small group if I really wanted to know I'd ask mates that live local before ever posting anything on Facebook like that..facebook can be a great tool it can also cause more problems than it's worth

Hear the story about the Scottish car thieves years ago who ripped the absolute piss out of the owners on Facebook as well as the local plod before torching the owners cars for all the tinterweb to see...last thing you want is for this bellend to find out who you are or where you live.

Keep your head down I reckon

12. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409

How so? Feel free to PM is you don't won't to say here. I don't think I'll mention here quite where but zone 2/3 NW.

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,728
    I think it's best if we don't set up AVF vigilante groups so this probably isn't a route to go down.

14. Doug the D

Doug the D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,980
    Gotta love us men/ boys and our dominant spirit! @bluedroog, he was clearly upset firstly by your verbal challenge, which then escalated into a physical confrontation which he lost also. By picking a weapon to assault you with, he has already (in his own mind) admitted to being beaten - no-one selects a weapon or seeks a greater force to fight with, unless confident of defeat. This clearly does not sit well with him, so he's then escalated even further, by searching for you with a brick and so on.

My advice would be not to change your route, or anything else for that matter. This clown already knows that you have the better of him, so in all honesty, I think unless he plans to chance another embarrassment at your hand, he's either going to walk/ ride around with a weapon to hand, or persuade fellow muppets to flank him in case he meets the 'tough guy' that he's no doubt made you out to be. The reality is, he won't try too hard to find you in case you decide that a foot in his midriff isn't your stopping point after all...Or even worse, embarrass him again!

By his actions alone, I'd suggest that he's a scared bully and he would love to know how badly you've been affected by the whole thing, when in reality, he's just acting like a little boy that didn't get his own way.

If you see him again (which is completely possible, accept it), don't even give him the pleasure of looking in his direction or acknowledging his existence - 'Pfft, I'm not scared of you, you little runt, I've already dealt with you'.

It'll blow over soon enough. This is not a case of advising you to 'man up' or any such nonsense, you've already proven your mettle once.
    Let the police do their thing and go about your life. Please don't let his moron dictate your actions or your life. You're clearly no shrinking violet, based on your actions thus far - you've proven that you're more mature, physically stronger and the better man. You intimidate this young man. So act like you know it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  15. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,313
    Ah, can't help with that area, sorry

16. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409

It wasn't that tone at all, he knew it wasn't like that too. Being on his back in front of an audience was definitely embarrassing given it was so quick and after he instigated the confrontation in front of so many people. That said I think he'd have grabbed the brick regardless. There was no reasoning with him, he's obviously got issues and is outwardly aggressive, he happened to cross my path and fixate on me. Doesn't matter what actually happens, his thinking is black and white, I represent his lifetime of anger and logic isn't a factor, splitting behaviour I think it is known as.

17. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,313
    I know the type very well, all I'd say is be very very careful, when guys like this loose face they can be very dangerous, horrible situation to be in.

18. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Great post Doug, appreciate it and agree with most of it. Had the first half played out as it had and then he picked up a brick making a lot of noise I'd put it down to more bravado and not give it too much thought a few days later.

However he seemed beyond a bit of a thug and closer to unhinged, the fact he went from spitting rage at someone minding their own business to calculated silence, from behind with a weapon I've little doubt he'd have slammed in to the back of my head leaves me cautious. Add the fact this was so close to home, he just kept coming back for more, the threats and the pictures he took of me and honestly, trying to do as you suggest is very difficult for me.

I thought I saw him today close to the station (was rushing for my appointment with the police so had to revert to normal route today), similar enough to concern me and we had eye contact from about 20 meters. He (who ever it was) changed direction on his bike and circled back in my direction having seen me. Could've been a coincidence and I realise I am amplifying every possibility to higher significance but having been pursued with a brick in the same location days earlier rational thought gets off set, even if I am aware of this fact.

19. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    What he says [emoji106]

20. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,072
    Best bet is to keep your head down and steer clear of trouble.

I always avoid any signs of trouble nowadays even if I look like a wimp.

I learnt my lesson the hard way when I was confronted by a road rage skinhead who jumped out of his car Effing and blinding. I grabbed my 6' spirit level out the back and was ready to swing it at his legs when he backed down and wheel spun off.

A week later I had my van windows smashed.

My van was sign written and it didn't take a genius to find my address.

I slept with a baseball bat and hockey stick next to me for a good 6 months after that. I still have the baseball bat under my bed and I've moved three times since then- you never know:laugh:

Anyway, life is too short to get into fights. I pay the dentist enough already for cracking a beer bottle open with my teeth.

21. Doug the D

Doug the D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,980
    You know it was him. He knows it was you. He's giving you space. My first line in my last post about 'us men/ boys' wasn't just tongue-in-cheek. Any male animal that gets bested by another tends to avoid further confrontation for fear of further loss - call it survival instinct or self-preservation if you will. I'm not 100% saying that this is the case every time, but generally speaking, the dog with it's tail between the legs doesn't come back to get bitten again...

This guy is probably at the lowest rung of whatever social structure (gang, estate, family, whatever) he's part of and feels the need to prove himself in whatever way he can. By losing to you, he's learnt about one more person in the world that he should not approach and confront - again to reference my previous post - unless he can find a sure way to beat you; weapon, greater numbers etc., which is not a realistic option for him really.

Statistically, it makes more sense for him to find a weaker person to pick on. I seriously don't think he'll bother you again. Don't get me wrong, it's easy to be a keyboard warrior and all that, but I would simply get on with your life.

70 million people in the U.K.
    7 million people in London.

If you had to pick one person out of 70 million to have a punch-up with, would you seriously even consider the 1 guy that's proven to be stronger/ faster/ tougher than you, or would you move onto a weaker prey? I know what I'd do ;)

'Not the face @bluedroog, not the face!'

22. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,599
    As others have mentioned, change your route & timings. On another day dress in clothes unfamiliar, hide your physique & go the same route, same time to see if he's looking for you.

Also buy some pepper spray or red vandal spray so if he does come close, you can protect yourself and get away. At least he will be recognised by the police :)

There some police on here, maybe the old boys network can help you.

Good luck.

23. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Haha I was half jokingly hoping that, unfortunatley not really worth the risk for them, I'd imagine it is frowned upon!

24. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    No point saying what you would do, the majority of us if we didn't have to worry about criminal records and life changing complications that may arise from an arrest would have probably kicked his teeth down the back of his throat, easy to say walk round like cock of the manor because you got a guy in a headlock so must be harder than him. bit harder to execute or be taken seriously when you've jumped into the back of a random strangers car after grabbing a guy in a headlock.

You also don't strike me as the type of guy who would follow someone with a house brick intent on stoving someone's skull in , bluedroog lost any streetcred or man points as soon as he ducked into someone's car...knobber on the bike knows this as does OP hence changing his route to avoid.

It's a sh*tty situation to be in when someone takes a disliking to you , you want no part in it but they want to cause you harm.

We all see it as had a bit of aggro was sorted there and then knobber on bike see's it as a dent in his pride that needs settled , you don't fudge around with unpredictable people that are prepared to use bricks to settle an altercation.

So two options really give him a wide berth phone police if he starts again or be prepared to give him a good kicking so he knows enough is enough knowing there may well be repercussions.

All this Facebook nonsense about trying to identify him will just add more salt to an open wound

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,862
    A) get some self defence lessons
    B) next time, run. Forget trying to reason with idiots like this. Only fight if you really, really have to.
    C) don't let him ruin your life, try to carry on as usual.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,728
    ^^^ this.

27. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    I am not saying come to blows unless absolutely necessary. But if the guy at comes at the op again and instigates a fight, especially with a weapon, then he's going to have to deal with it. If he sees him and the other guy does nothing then the op should just keep walking and that's it, job done.
    I'm not condoning starting fights.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  28. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,728
    I was referring to this :)

29. Doug the D

Doug the D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,980
    I agree, hence my comment about being a 'keyboard warrior' :)

It's very hard to know what to really do in such a situation like this in real-life unfortunately, until it happens :(

The military taught me all sorts of bits and bobs with regards to confrontation, but ultimately @mjn summed it up perfectly with his point B).

I got shown how to diffuse situations like this, how to avoid them and how to fight effectively, but the best thing I ever learnt (by far) was how to 'tactically withdraw' (I don't ever run away lol :)) in order to live to fight another day. Or at least get to work safely on another day I suppose.

I was just trying to put in some information about what goes on in the minds of bullies. In reality though, we can never know though...

30. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    A question for officers possibly reading we all know fighting in the street is a big no no but since the OP has lodged a complaint regarding knobber on the bike.

Say he bumped into the hooded chump again and a fight ensued obviously you are allowed to use acceptable force to defend yourself the guy on the bike came off worse would the police push for a charge against the OP or would they wait to see if bully boy bikerider wanted to press charges?

What's the usual procedure for two parties that have history of having a run in? Would it be no excuses do not collect £200 victim surcharge straight to the cells or would the OP be likely to be shown a bit leniency?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.