Question Trying to get music thru Blu-Ray input, AVR950

EvilNoah

Novice Member
Reaction score
Using the Blu-Ray composite input, I'm trying to get my CD player's audio to come through, but no luck. Tried the other inputs as well, like DVD, still bunk. I have had my turntable connected to the CD input for some time now, and not phono because I have a pre-amp already. I really want to hook up my CD player too without having to swap the cord between the turntable and CD player. Is there any kind of work around here? Will it only play audio with a video signal too? If I can only connect one audio source then this is a major oversight on Denon's part. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Denon AVR950? Do you mean Arcam?

The yellow composite inputs are for video only. If you want to input an analogue audio signal you need to use the red and white analogue audio inputs. You should have more than one, eg cd / pvr / bd / av etc

Just use a spare one, make sure that it is assigned to an input in the assign menu on the AVR's on screen menu, and then you can switch to it as necessary.

Arcam? No, it's a Denon AVR-S950H. I just wrote AVR950 for brevity. Maybe I shouldn't have now. I know yellow is video, and red and white is audio. I connect the white cable to the white input, and the red cable to the red input on anything other than the CD or phono input and I get nothing.

Arcam? No, it's a Denon AVR-S950H. I just wrote AVR950 for brevity. Maybe I shouldn't have now. I know yellow is video, and red and white is audio. I connect the white cable to the white input, and the red cable to the red input on anything other than the CD or phono input and I get nothing.
Right. It is probably an input assign issue. You need to tell the amp to get audio from analogue audio for that input. Do you see above those inputs it says assignable? Have you checked the manual? It's under settings - input assign.

Your connection is a simple analogue RCA from the CDP to any of the line-in RCA on the Denon. You do have to assign the correct inputs though.

Input Assign

By making connections as indicated by the input sources printed on the audio/video input connectors of this unit, you can just press one of the input source select buttons to easily play back audio or video from a connected device.
Please change the assignment of the HDMI input connector, digital audio input connector, analog audio input connector, component video input connector and video input connector when connecting an input source that differs from that printed to the audio/video input connectors of this unit.
Sets the audio input mode for each “INPUT MODE” source. “AUTO” is normally recommended for this setting. This automatically detects and plays signal input to this unit prioritized in the following order: HDMI
Open Left
DIGITAL
Open Left
ANALOG.
GUI InputAssign_S95E3

By default, each item is set as follows.

HDMI​
DIGITAL​
ANALOG​
VIDEO​
Input source​
Input connector​
INPUT MODE​
CBL/SAT​
1​
COAX​
1​
VIDEO1​
AUTO​
DVD​
2​
–​
2​
COMP1​
AUTO​
Blu-ray​
3​
–​
3​
VIDEO2​
AUTO​
Game​
4​
OPT2​
–​
COMP2​
AUTO​
Media Player​
5​
–​
–​
–​
HDMI​
TV Audio​
–​
OPT1​
–​
–​
DIGITAL​
AUX1​
FRONT​
–​
–​
–​
HDMI​
AUX2​
6​
–​
–​
–​
HDMI​
CD​
–​
–​
4​
–​
ANALOG​

ANALOG
Set this to change the analog audio input connectors assigned to the input sources.
1 / 2 / 3 / 4:Assign a analog audio input connector to the selected input source.
– :Do not assign a analog audio input connector to the selected input source.

The other inputs would need reassigning to enable you to use them. The AVR will have had the associated HDMI and or optical inputs assigned to the sources by default. If you want to use the analogue audio inputs as opposed to accessing the audio via HDMI or optical then you'd need to reassign them accordingly.

GUI InputAssign_S95E3_DRDZILjpigamfb.png

You can find more info on this within the owners manual. Here's the online abstract relating to the input assignments:

Aw hell, I forgot about all that! Thank you guys, I feel like a knob now lol.

Yup, I got it all set now. Was looking through the menus too and just skipped over Inputs for whatever reason. Again, thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom