1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get John Lewis to price match Panasonic TH42PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vaderx, Jun 7, 2005.

1. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just in the process of buying a Panasonic TH42PV500. Don't mind if it's a "pedestal" or "cabinet" version - whichever is the best deal. :)

I'd really prefer to buy from John Lewis because of their five year warranty but am stuck in their Undersales / price match cycle. They claim only to match shop prices and not web prices which makes things really difficult. :(

So far I've come across the following prices which are way better than John Lewis' £2,495 (pedestal version) + £499 for cabinet only:

Pedestal:

Total Digital £1,999.00
    121 Electricals £2,144
    Unbeatable £2,199.99
    Electrical Discount UK £2,199.99
    Crampton & Moore £2,399

Cabinet:

Total Digital £2,249.00
    Currys (Web only) £2,315.92
    Dixons (Web only) £2,315.92
    Crampton & Moore £2,499
    Electrical Discount UK £2,499.99
    Unbeatable £2,549.99

I would really appreciate if anybody has successfully got John Lewis to price match against any of these could please post or PM the details. Also, what branch of John Lewis did you do this in and if you also have the name of the guy you arranged the price with, that would be great. :clap:

Many, many thanks. I'm all set to buy it now and this is the last hurdle. :thumbsup:

Chris

2. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    If it helps, Hi-Spek (which is a highstreet store, not website) has the following pricing - all with DVD Recorders chucked in:

Includes pedestal stand and free DVD Recorder
    Price: 42" TH42PV500PED £2299.99

Includes wall bracket and free DVD Recorder
    Price: 42" TH42PV500WAL £2249.99

Includes cabinet and free DVD Recorder
    Price: 42" TH42PV500CAB £2559.99

CALL 0870 0273105 FOR DETAILS

3. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
  4. cwatson

cwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, I got the 37PV500 pricematch against Crampton & Moore by JL Watford - however I do know that someone else that tried the day after me wasn't lucky. My feeling is that its worth trying a few times - it seems to depend on who picks up the phone/talks to you in the shop.

5. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to try again tomorrow. Do you have any contact details of the person you spoke to at JL Watford?.

Feel free to PM the details.

Thanks.

6. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just asked JL Watford to price match C&M. The first person I talked to at JL told me they won't price match against the 42PV500 Pedestal as they sell the plasma and pedestal seperatly unlike C&M. I asked her to confirm and she put me on hold to check. Phone got disconnected, so I called again. This time some one else picked it up and said..."it should'nt be a problem".

Will find out in the next few days if they have price matched.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Vaderx, as has been posted countless times John Lewis only price matches gainst stores that have actual physical shop premises, have the item in stock and the price is clearly displayed. Out of your list only C & M, Total Digital has premises, I'm not sure about Electrical Discount and JL won't match web only prices so Currys & Dixons are also out.

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Also, JL stores are only obliged by their T&Cs to pricematch stores within 30 miles of the store you are dealing with, or other 'national' chains. This may explain why JL branches in SE England are sometimes reluctant to pricematch C&M based in Sheffield (don't know if they have branches).

There have been some reports of success in achieving 'distance' pricematches in two steps:
    1. Get a JL branch near C&M to pricematch C&M
    2. Get another JL branch to pricematch the first branch.

The final complication is that - I think - JL pricematch only applies to items in stock, not stuff on order. (Must confess this is the point I am least sure about, however).

Notwithstanding the above, good luck if you do succeed and the best idea may be to share the names of staff who were most compliant with us here!

9. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tried to order from JL Shefield (where C&M are based). I was told I would have to order through a local store. However, they said my local store should price match C&M since there is a JL branch is Shefield.

Got a call from JL Brent Cross saying they are still looking at my price match request (placed an order last Thursday).

Hi-Spek should be a good for price matching since they have a store in St Albans, Herts (close to Watford).

10. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much to everyone. :thumbsup:

I went to John Lewis Oxford Street after work and filled in an Undersale form against Hi-Spek. They said it would take 4-5 days to be processed and were very non-committal as to whether I would be successful or not.

They did however give the extension number of the Undersale team so that I can check progress (so I can chase them :) ).

I'll post back with the results either way. Also, any names if they're useful.

Thanks again. :smashin:

Chris

11. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, one more question. :)

In John Lewis' "Never knowingly undersold" leaflet, they claim to refund the difference in price up to 28 days after the date of purchase. Has anyone actually tested this in practise? In theory, it should therefore be safe for me to buy the plasma for John Lewis' "normal" price and then once the "undersale" is approved/confirmed, they'll pay me back the difference. [ All this extra waiting it torture. :rolleyes: ]

However, I'm concerned that once John Lewis have your money, they have less of an incentive to approve the "undersale". What do people think?

Cheers,

Chris

12. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is no reason why you can't get the price match more than once. Get it matched when you purchase and then again 4 weeks later, assuming prices have come down further (that's my plan anyway).

13. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JL Watford agreed to price match with C&M (£2500 + £35 delivery), but no free DVD recorder (since C&M deal does not include the free DVD).

If I order today, can have it delivered on Friday.

I am tempted.

14. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lasitha,

£2,500 is the normal price at John Lewis. I presume this includes the cabinet stand? :thumbsup:

Chris

15. Saggy

Saggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I used to work for JL at Welwyn Garden City and repair now for the WGC, Watford and Brent Cross Store. The 28 Day undersale does work and have used the option many time. Also they should price match anywhere in the country (as long as there is a shop/store not Web based). If you can phisicly go and pick the item up then you should not have to be matched with the delivery costs, just the purchase price. And you can file as many undersales in the 28days as you can find. My best so far was 4 on a bosch Washing machine. And as said before It really does depend on who you speak to and the day they seem to be having.

edit: Just come off the phone with a friend who still works at JL. they will also match peoples package deals if they (JL) sell all the equipment seperatly. ie Hi spek plasma/dvdr/stand package, they will match by totaling the amount and deducting the difffernce. :smashin:

16. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, it does.

Trying to decide whether to order it today (for delivery on Friday) or try to do another price match which includes the free DVD recorder.

17. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've asked JL to pricematch the 37PV500 against a shop in Birmingham. This was two days ago and at the time the shop had the model on display and the price clearly marked. - Confirmed this by calling the shop and pretending that I was on my way in to have a look and buy one. These as far as I know are the main points that JL use.
    I have called the shop this morning and now they tell me that the 37PV is no longer on display as they had a rush of interest and sold it.
    So what happens when JL go in, see that the TV is no longer there and refuse to do a price match? :thumbsdow
    The shop has told me that they are getting more in within a few days and again they will be having the model I want on display. So do I need to call JL again and ask them to price match against the same shop in the hope that they will send someone there quicker to check. If that is the case, I think their policy is a bit of a joke. Its not as though the plasma is an old model, and the prices shown are "last few to clear" stock. They are genuine prices and as such JL know they are "being undersold" so should honour their policy.
    I am not holding out much hope that JL will price match it, as they are now giving away the DVD recorder ( I have one already so that does not interest me). Can I ask them to pricematch without the DVD recorder or do JL have the advantage? :confused: and :suicide:

18. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try ASK elecronics on tottenham court road and price match BEFORE you buy with JL kingston. It worked first time for me. Just phone jl up and tell them you've found their product elsewhere and hopefully they will write back in a few days and price-match. If you need to you can then call your nearest jl and get them to match kingston's price. good luck shugg :D

19. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ASK don't display their prices (at least not when I was there last week). So you might have problems with price matching.

Try HiSpek (0870 0273 105, http://www.hispek.com). They have a store in St Albans.

20. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John Lewis price matched Total Digital's price of £2,249.00 which includes the cabinet for me.
    As well as the five year warranty they threw in the free DVD Recorder. :D :D

Stock arrives next week, so just waiting on a phonecall at confirm delivery date.

21. jakesmith

jakesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which JL was that?
    Did you have to wait days for the price match?
    I'd very much like to have them match total digital also!

22. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely thats impossible! I went to a few JL branches and they all refused to price match totaldigital!!! so how is that possible??

Which branch did that for you???? Surely it may just been your charm??

23. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I emailed the Edinburgh branch asking for the price match and waiting about 4 days for them to get back to me. I must have been VERY lucky as totaldigital must have had some in stock on the day they checked.

As far as I know if the shop they try to pricematch with have no stock then they will not match.

24. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh when i was called, I was told that they tried to negotiate and that means their prices are not fixed and therefore cannot match the price. Hmmm I will have to email Edinburgh. Seems like these London stores just aint generous enough!

25. jakesmith

jakesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just emailed them, total digital might be out of stock. But if that is there only grounds for refusing, I will keep trying until total digital are in stock.

Let me know how you get on totalmadness.

26. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no the stand is £495 extra !!!!!!!!!!11

27. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Correct, but with the price match it was free.

28. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone post what is ASK Electronics' current
    offer on 42 PV 500 plus Cabinet in Tottenham Court Road?

29. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Diverse, could you tell us the retailers that JL refused?
    I am very much believe in "david vs goliath" battles.
    I hope (or suspect) that there is a chance
    that JL may offer a compromise as the court hearing draws near.
    Good luck with your claim..and keep us updated!!

30. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went there last Wednesday. They wanted £2800 for the 42" CAB. When I said I had seen it for £2500, they said they will match that price.