• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trying to get into non-mainstream cinema

Schreck

Established Member
Hi guys,

Basically I have little or no experience with non-mainstream cinema; as I have became further engrossed in the world of Film it would be great for me to be given a starting point for this side of Film.

Any recommendations of Avant-garde/experimental films? Perhaps significant ones or ones deemed as 'classics'.

Cheers :hiya:

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Where to start !!!

First off I would recommend you do a little reading up on the two genre as they are in my mind quite different from each other, wikipedia is always handy for a quick beginning.

Experimenta

Experimental film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avant-garde

Avant-garde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a little list (not complete by all means but a good place to start)

List of avant-garde films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Film: Avant-Garde

Histories of the future: mapping the avant-garde. -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

http://filmstore.bfi.org.uk/

Find something that appeals to you & take it from there really as its such a big topic that to list a few films wouldn't really help, like all things you have to start somewhere.

Still saying that here's a few I like anyway.

UN CHIEN ANDULOU 1928, The Fall of the House of Usher 1928, The Hearts of Age 1934, Le Vampire 1945, Koyaanisqatsi 1983, Eraserhead 1976, Archangel 1990, Baraka 1992, Pi 1998, Dogville 2003

Whether some of them fall into the genre is up for debate hence my not wanting to post them as we each have our own tastes, still am sure somebody on here is much more suited to the task & hopefully they will come along.

While not in the above list I have always loved this film & its what got me into looking into film genre more closely.

Cocteau's 1946 La Belle et La Bete
there's a version with a Philip Glass opera that's pretty Avant-garde all by itself.

Also look at The Criterion Collection sign up for there news letter :smashin:

Best of luck

Last edited:

expat

Established Member
Here's another place to find out about avant-garde/experimental films:

allmovie

This site has become my film "bible" for every genre.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom