Trying to get Dolby Vision working on Kodi

craigj

Established Member
Reaction score
My setup is an Android box with Kodi installed (V19), in the Kodi Dolby Vision settings I have let it on auto switch to best dolby vision and it seems to have selected Dolby vision enable with low latency (YUV), which sounds correct! This box is connected to my Sony STR-DN1080 and in that I have it se to enhanced HDMI, the amp is connected to my Philips 8505 Android TV, again in the TV settings I have it set to enhanced (or whatever) HDMI. If I have Kodi 19 running on the Android TV I can select a film and I get the Atmos popup as well as Dolby Vision popup. If I play the same film through my Android box, I only get Atmos and the colours are strange, I assume the Dolby vision is not quite right somewhere but I know the title Im playing defiantly has Dolby Vision as it plays ok on Kodi on my TV. Now.... some of you might think thats fine, whats the problem, you get Vision and Atmos on the TV install of Kodi - it is good but... I have a 1GB connection and cant stream the largest video files to the TV as it starts stuttering(it only has a 100meg ethernet) but the Android box has been streaming 80GB films perfectly and I wanted to ideally keep it streaming the highest quality available. Also, and this is less of a concern, the TV is not E-ARC so downgrades the HD Audio formats to Dolby Digital + (But this does pass down Atmos to the amp, so not a major concern as I really doubt that I would hear any difference)

Dolby Vision is a proprietary system, there are multiple versions of DV and some devices can only play back certain versions of it.

Most likely the TV is capable of the dual layer FEL version of DV but your Android box is only capable of the single layer MEL version of DV.

I think you need boxes like Zidoo Z9X and nVidia Shield TV 2019 to play dual layer DV.

Ah! Thanks for that, would explain it. Think I should just stick with it on the TV and live without the HD Sound formats - I still get Dolby Atmos. I assume if its a 7.1 HD DTS that still comes through re-encoded as Dolby Digital + with 7.1 channels?

Scratch that! Although my TV Shows Dolby Atmos, the Amp does not it just shows Dolby Digital + - should then show DAtmos if it gets Atmos passed through. So looks like I stick with the Android box for now and miss out on Dolby Vision, which is not a big deal

Scratch that! Although my TV Shows Dolby Atmos, the Amp does not it just shows Dolby Digital + - should then show DAtmos if it gets Atmos passed through. So looks like I stick with the Android box for now and miss out on Dolby Vision, which is not a big deal

HDMI-ARC is limited to Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo.

DD+ 5.1 Atmos can be passed over HDMI-ARC if the TV supports it.

UHD Blu-ray uses TrueHD 7.1 Atmos which cannot be passed over HDMI-ARC.

DVDFab is capable of making faked DV single layer files from the source video, the TV will say its DV but its not quite true single layer DV, some kind of hacked job. Sticking to HDR10 videos might simply be easier.

Looks like the latest update that Philips gave me has broken Atmos as I can't get it from netflix either, the TV pops up to say Atmos but the amp just says dolby digital + when it used to say Atmos

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom