Trying to get a signal with an inherited old dish

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Got an old dish on the side of our house which is bigger than neighbouring Sky digital minidishes and pointing in roughly the same direction. Except a little to the right (from the perspective of the dish).
    Planning to use it with a couple of used digiboxes.
    Put a brand new twin LNB on it and fed the signal into an analogue Pace box to test it. Got a really good picture but only Europsport and Bloomberg and one or two others in English. Most channels are German including QVC.
    We tried moving the dish round to point more to the left but there's a tree in the way and we got no signal at all so we moved it back.
    Are we pointing at the wrong satellite?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The channels you were getting sound like they were off the Astra satellite at 19.2 degrees East, the old SKY analogue source.

If you want to recieve the SKY D signals then you'll have to move the dish to another location which isn't in line of sight with the tree and align in to 28.2 degrees East.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    The dish is staying put and I'm getting a saw to the tree. (or the top 2/3rds at least).
    So the dish needs pointing over to the left by 9 degrees? That looks about right.
    Is the elevation the same?
    Thanks.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Take a look here . Is Lilo-Lil still on the go? RTL2 :blush: :D

5. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there could be a number of things here. Astra 2 at 28.2 deg East broadcasts in digital only - you will get absolutely nothing at all when looking at it through an analogue receiver no matter how well aligned you are. The tree could be a problem as well, but if you are chopping a bit out of that then that should cure it. If you want to watch anything from sky digital then you need to aquire a digital receiver. If you want to receive any of the pay per view sky stuff, or watch any of the bbc channels then you will need a sky digibox, as these are currently the only things which have the correct conditional access module (CAM) in them. If you don't want to watch any of these, then any digital receiver will do the job fine, and there is plenty of free to air stuff that you can get - including radio. NB, you will need a digibox and (at least) an fta viewing card from the bbc to be able to listen to 5 live. I presume this is because of the football comentary that they have.

As to the elevation it could be a little different with the satellite being in a lower position with respect to the horizon. This shouldn't make too much difference to you with a larger dish, but will be important when it comes to fine tuning the dish when you do finally settle and get a signal.

Hope this helps,
    NW

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Thanks all for your help.
    The tree is history. Neighbour helped me saw and pull it down in return for a beer and making his DVD player multiregion.
    I'll be getting a digibox in a few days hopefully. I'll try moving the dish round a bit. 9 degrees or so :) and see what happens.
    What % quality signal should I aim for?
    Would you still pay for a qualified installer to come out and tweak it ? And if so how much should I expect to pay?

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My signal quality fluctuates quite drastically at times with not a lot of notable difference in picture quality. The strongest channel seems to be British Eurosport (412) whilst the weakest (usually the first one to disappear) is Smash Hits (451) So as long as Smash Hits is on I reckon you will be okay.
    You can buy a Digital meter which you can use to line the dish up for about £25, so I wouldn't spend any more than that getting an engineer out.

Hope this is of some help,

Lex.