trying to fit 4 episodes on DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_Geezer, Jan 21, 2005.

1. the_Geezer

the_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Can I get some help please I’m trying to fit 4 episodes of a sky TV series on one DVD
    (Can someone conform that this works and has working 16.9 wide switching)

When I record them on the sky+ unit total time is about 55 to 60mins

After I edit out the adds each one is about 40 to 42mins

After I fit 4 episodes on DVD-R the 16.9 switching goes all wrong making the picture on the disc set to a 16.9 with a zoom in which ends you like a 4.3 picture

PLUS what is the lowest bitrate to record in before it only records in 4.3 picture and not 16.9 widescreen

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    What recorder do you have?

On the Toshiba XS-32, the only time it forces recording in 4:3 mode is on the lowest possible setting (1.4).

Mark

3. the_Geezer

the_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i have a Toshiba XS-32

but when i add 4 titles of 40 to 43mins each this is what happens

ANYONE copied four 40mins programs to a dvd in widescreen and got it to play back right other DVD player with the correct picture ratio

:lease: :lease: HELP

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. It could be because the Tosh is not getting the WS signal from Sky - see "Not getting widescreen" thread from mikehibbert

2. No DVD-video recording over the standard DVD time (2h 20m usually) seems to carry the WS flag, regardless of source. The WS pic will be recorded 'squashed' but should be able to be opend up manually on WS TV.

5. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If they play back OK on the HDD then they should be the same on DVD-R.

If you use high speed dubbing it takes the default setting, which may be 4:3.

I usually use Create DVD and select 16:4 and they work OK.

If you high speed dub then finalise you are stuck with the format they were transfered with. I've done this a couple of times by mistake and had to do the whole dub again.

If you are high speed dubing check your DVD aspect ratio is not set to 4:3 (from the quick menu) which would mean the flag on the DVD is set to display in 4:3

6. dogmonaut

dogmonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I got around this (using dvd-video) was to create the DVD, use ifoedit on a PC of edit the ifo files, and then re-create the DVD on the PC. The TV will then automatically switch into widescreen.

Baffles me why the recorders can't do this when it is possible to change it later on.