Trying to find genuine high speed HDMI cables....

ipswich78

Standard Member
Hi,

Hope someone can help. I am of the impression that you can only get fully certified HDMI cables up to 8 metres - is this correct?

If so could someone please point me in the direction of a company who sells these. Most websites seem to claim that the cables they sell are high speed but how can I be sure?

I ordered these: 8m HDMI Cable - Premium Flat and was under the impression they would be high speed... However instead I was sent the 10m versions as the 8m was out of stock. Unfortunately trying to get a sensible answer out of their customer service is proving somewhat challenging.

If someone can point me in the relevant direction to get these correct cables I would really appreciate it as am keen to order asap.

Thanks in advance and any education on this subject would be appreciated.

ipswich78

larkone

Distinguished Member
Does the one they have sent you not work then? That is how you test them - they either will work or not work as they are digital. The maximum length for hi-speed certification is 8m but that doesn't mean longer cables will not work, they are just not guaranteed by the certification.

diablo

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The standard speed and high speed tests are a suite of tests designed to see if the cable can handle the bandwidth required by various signal formats.

In terms of bandwidth , 1080i @50/60hz ( HDTV signals ) is no different to the most common type of 1080p , which is blu ray at [email protected]

Both of these signals are firmly within the standard speed suite of signals.

The "High Speed for 1080p" line that you hear so often is outdated , and was coined before Blu ray became popular and when the only type of 1080p available was [email protected]/60hz available from some camcorders etc.

Its not true anymore , that phrase is obsolete.

The only commonly available signals requiring High Speed capabilities are [email protected] or 1080p 3D which is [email protected] x 2 ... an image for each eye as it were.

Its also worth remembering that "Officially" carrying that logo only means the cable has completed the high speed test suite and passed , the above two signal types are at the very beginning of that test suite , most of the other 20 or so signal types making up that test suite are possible future formats that dont exist yet in any currently available domestic format.

So , even if the the cable did fail the high speed test , that doesnt mean it wont work with any currently available signal format out there !

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom