• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trying to find a genuine Sky HD remote

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Hey all, I've been raking through the forums here but can't find any discussion on this. I have a Sky+ box for which some of the buttons on the remote and getting increasingly unresponsive, as the Sky HD remote is meant to be better I'd like to pick one up.

I've seen some comments implying there are fake Sky remotes out there but I can't find any such information on here, there's plenty of remotes on eBay for around a tenner. When I was looking for Sky+ remotes there seemed to be consistent feedback for some sellers that claimed the remotes weren't genuine due to a problem getting them to work which didn't seem to be isolated.

Are there fake Sky HD remotes? Are there any recommended places to get a genuine one cheap?

Thanks,
John

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Also I don't think a skyhd remote will control a sky+, but a sky+ will control skyhd, weirdly.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Not to sound flippant, but have you ever heard of Google? ;)

Sky HD Remote Control - Google Product Search

I doubt the offerings from Play.com, Argos, Homebase, Tesco et al are counterfeit.

That isn't the question I was asking, I'm well aware of those remotes otherwise I woudn't have posted this topic in the first place. Those remotes are all two to three times more expensive than those offered on ebay/Amazon marketplace etc. so the question I was asking was whether these cheap ones are genuine or not. Reading through reviews and other forums, some are claiming there are fake remotes, some are claiming it's just people who don't know how to use them while others claim the remote isn't genuine but as good as the original.

As a big avforum, I'm assuming I can get a clearer answer here.

John

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Also I don't think a skyhd remote will control a sky+, but a sky+ will control skyhd, weirdly.

Apparently out of the box it won't but it can be reprogrammed to do so:

he SkyHD RCU can also be programmed to operate Sky+ boxes as well as SkyHD:

Press the TV button.

Press and hold SELECT and i together until the LED flashes twice.

Press the number button 1 and then press SELECT.

John

True Romance

Distinguished Member
the question I was asking was whether these cheap ones are genuine or not.

John

as the saying goes......"if it seems to good to be true....."

For what its worth my HD remote started playing up so went back to an old sky+ remote and had no problems since.

HDCriticalFan

some of the buttons on the remote and getting increasingly unresponsive

I've had a similar problem - with my Sky+HD remote.

I bought one for about a fiver on eBay. It certainly seems genuine (and works).

FWIW I wore out several remotes on my original Pace v1 Sky+ (which lasted well over five years). The rocker switch for play/pause is a really bad idea. It's the button I'm always pressing. First the text wears off so it looks shabby, then it starts getting temperamental.

IMHO the Sky+HD remote is worse. Within only 2 years or so the remote became intermittent (i.e. the red light on the remote didn't always come on). And then you have the box's occasional refusal to "see" a signal (where the remote does work) and the occasional delay when button presses get buffered and then allhappenatonce. Nightmare :(

Regards

Martin J.

That isn't the question I was asking, I'm well aware of those remotes otherwise I woudn't have posted this topic in the first place. Those remotes are all two to three times more expensive than those offered on ebay/Amazon marketplace etc. so the question I was asking was whether these cheap ones are genuine or not.
Apologies, I thought you had also asked:
Are there any recommended places to get a genuine one cheap?
£15 didn't seem all that expensive.

HD sceptic

Have you tried cleaning the remote first?
Take off the battery cover, remove the batteries. IIRC there is one philips head screw under the batteries.
Take the screw out and carefully prise the two halves apart.
Take the rubber buttons out, and give them a good wash with hot soapy water.
Whilst the buttons are drying blow out all the dust hair etc that has collected then take some cotton buds soaked in nail polish remover and brush it over the contact pads on the remotes pcb until no more dirt comes off.
Reassemble the remote (make sure the rubber buttons are totally dry) and test.

It takes about 10-20 minutes to do. I did this last summer on a remote where half the buttons were unresponsive, that same remote is now working perfectly nearly a year later, and it is much cheaper than buying a new remote

It takes about 10-20 minutes to do. I did this last summer on a remote where half the buttons were unresponsive, that same remote is now working perfectly nearly a year later, and it is much cheaper than buying a new remote

That's a fantastic result HD Sc... great job with just soapy water and varnish :* :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TJT1

Distinguished Member
:DHe He. I think that Knights Online is trying to boost her sales of Sky remotes.:D

John

I hope after 5 and a half years, john is sorted

TJT1

Distinguished Member
It wasn't you who bumped it:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom