Trying to figure out whats best but iam so indecisive!

blaahead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Iam having trouble deciding which tv is best for me.

I currently own a 65inch LG C9 which i love. We also had a dedicated movie room with a 100' projected image. The projected image is obviously nowhere near the quality you get from a tv but apart from its crap black levels it was quiet impressive.

However we have just moved house now and no longer have the luxury of having a dedicated movie room so the projector is not really an option and the 65inch OLED is just too small for us for movie watching so we want to buy a new tv. Ideally a 82/85inch but 75inch minimum.

Budget is around 3000 euro and for that my options seem to be the Samsung Q80T or the Sony XH9505 (both 75 inches) or the XH8096 (85inch)

We do not watch broadcast tv. Mostly Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and streaming 1080p / 4k movies. As its gonna become the main tv however then its also gonna be used for gaming a bit too. I would say maybe 70% movie watching and 30% Gaming

What would you guys recommend? Iam torn because i dont expect any of these sets to out perform the LG C9 in picture quality yet each one of these sets is more expensive! (granted they are 10 inches bigger or 20inches in the case of the XH8096)

I have high standards with regards picture quality so i want a tv thats going to ultimately look fantastic. Everything else is secondary! If it can look great watching movies and perform smoothly when gaming then thats all that matters i think!

Viewing angles are not important as we sit right opposite/in front of the tv (about 10-12feet away)

In terms of pricing the 75inch Q80T is 2,900 and the XH9505 is the same price where as the 85inch XH8096 is 2,650

Of course the XH8096 isnt as superior as the other two but it is the cheapest and gets me an 85inch rather then 75 inch. Would it be worth it or is the picture quality difference too big between them to recommend it??

If you like the best picture then go for the XH9505 as this is on a par with the Q90/95T, not the Q80T, which is similar, maybe a tad better than the XH9005. The XH8096 would be a big step down in overall quality, especially at 85" size so I'd forget that altogether.

If you like the best picture then go for the XH9505 as this is on a par with the Q90/95T, not the Q80T, which is similar, maybe a tad better than the XH9005. The XH8096 would be a big step down in overall quality, especially at 85" size so I'd forget that altogether.

Thanks for your reply. You would choose the XH9505 over the Q80T?? Both seem to be reasonably well rated online although interestingly if i go into a store here they only ever recommend Samsung unless your looking for an Oled in which case they say to go for LG

Thanks for your reply. You would choose the XH9505 over the Q80T?? Both seem to be reasonably well rated online although interestingly if i go into a store here they only ever recommend Samsung unless your looking for an Oled in which case they say to go for LG

I'd never trust a store that pushes one brand over another but as with most things in life it's down to personal choice, so maybe the staff there just prefer the Samsung picture, which tends to be over saturated with crushed blacks to try to reduce blooming. The XH9505 is definitely a better television than the Q80T in terms of picture motion and quality and HDR performance. The Samsungs maybe have a slightly better operating system, but again I really like the new android system on Sony's. I have the XH9505 and was comparing it to the Q90/95 before making the plunge. I wouldn't say that the Q80 is in the same league. If you are keen for Samsung look at the Q90. I really rate my XH95, probably the best set I've ever owned, and I've had a few lol

I've never had an OLED as I have young kids and watch too much sport and news (banners logos etc) but if/when I do the way it's looking these days I'd probably go for LG. The CX looks very good for the money.

they only ever recommend Samsung unless your looking for an Oled in which case they say to go for LG
That just makes no sense since Samsung sell LCD TVs the same as Sony and not OLED. Seems like the sales people may not know that a QLED is just an LCD TV, not a rival to OLED! Already answered already by LCDSeeker XH9505>Q80T. Only area the Q80T is better really is with a single HDMI 2.1 port which will support HDMI VRR for gaming. Its not worth stepping down in picture quality for imo.

Btw, now isn't really a great time to buy. Samsung TVs especially are priced quite high (Samsung Q90T/Q95T should be similar in price to the Sony XH9505) consider buying a TV at a better time of year than now. Black Friday being the very first time to consider buying, but not always the best.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see the 77" CX come down within your budget, but only if you delay purchasing for longer.

That just makes no sense since Samsung sell LCD TVs the same as Sony and not OLED. Seems like the sales people may not know that a QLED is just an LCD TV, not a rival to OLED! Already answered already by LCDSeeker XH9505>Q80T. Only area the Q80T is better really is with a single HDMI 2.1 port which will support HDMI VRR for gaming. Its not worth stepping down in picture quality for imo.

Btw, now isn't really a great time to buy. Samsung TVs especially are priced quite high (Samsung Q90T/Q95T should be similar in price to the Sony XH9505) consider buying a TV at a better time of year than now. Black Friday being the very first time to consider buying, but not always the best.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see the 77" CX come down within your budget, but only if you delay purchasing for longer.

Yeah that would be perfect as i think it would then be a no brainer if it was within budget. The only issue is , how long do i have to wait for it to come down and can i be sure its gonna come down enough to be within budget? Also another problem is that the kids always leave images paused on the tv and they go off and leave the tv on so burn in might be an issue. Not an issue with my current oled panel but this purchase is gonna be used alot more and the kids unfortunately will have to use it too as its gonna be in our main living room. For this reason i was thinking Q80T or XH9505. Leaning towards the latter at this moment but its killing me knowing iam paying almost 1000 euro more for an inferior tv then i paid for my Oled and all iam gaining is 10 inches!

I have a lot to think about ha

Just pulled the trigger on a new 77 inch LG CX . Used the companies vat number and it worked out at 3,200 euro inc delivery so for that price it seems like a very good buy, especially considering the other options i considered were not 'vat free eligible'

Only issue concerning me is that this Tv will be used a lot more than my other Oled Tv so iam worrying about burn in more so. Iam gonna do some homework on this subject using these forums but for now i may aswell ask in this thread if you guys have any tips that help prevent this from happening. The TV is likely to be used at least 12 hours a day most days and will be used during the day for gaming, youtube etc and movies at night!

I have noticed on my current tv that if i pause content on netflix etc the tv displays a screen saver within seconds. Surely this makes burn in impossible as the image is constantly changing?? Is burn in only a risk if your watching content with static images / logos?

I have noticed on my current tv that if i pause content on netflix etc the tv displays a screen saver within seconds. Surely this makes burn in impossible as the image is constantly changing?? Is burn in only a risk if your watching content with static images / logos?
Burn in is dependant on the content you use with the TV, screen savers are present with built in apps if they developer chooses to ad one. From external sources the TV can't tell if video is playing or not, so a paused image from an external device without its own screen saver can be more dangerous than built in apps.

As for your usage, there's a thread on burn in already here that should explain what is and isn't a risk:

Burn in is dependant on the content you use with the TV, screen savers are present with built in apps if they developer chooses to ad one. From external sources the TV can't tell if video is playing or not, so a paused image from an external device without its own screen saver can be more dangerous than built in apps.

As for your usage, there's a thread on burn in already here that should explain what is and isn't a risk:

Thanks man

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom