Trying to extend Sky cable - not working :(

Db9429

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I've moved my TV to the other side of my living room and have therefore needed to extend the sky cable.

I bought a (supposedly) high quality 20m coax to run above the ceiling which I've joined to the existing sky cable using *I don't know the name of it*

(It looks like this):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/113Q9P3ZYWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As far as I can see everything is OK physically, but when I plug it in and turn it on I'm getting 'A satellite signal cannot be received'...:mad:

Do the connector things have to be put on a certain way around?
Is 20m too long?

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

logiciel

Hi - these are what you want: 4x F-connectors & 2x F-couplers for joining sky+ cables | eBay UK.
Get the plugs right on the cable ends - exact length of exposed core and kept straight, exact amount of inner and outer plastic coating removed, no contact between outer metal sheathing or braiding and core, good contact between outer metal casing and sheathing.

Db9429

Standard Member
Hi logiciel,

That's pretty much what I have in terms of connectors, so I'm thinking it's probably the way I have stripped the coax cable.

Have you got any more details on the lengths of the various things you mentioned above? Or do you mean the lengths have got to be the same as the F-Connectors? Is there a picture you could link to by any chance?

Cheers

logiciel

I'm not sure what the item is that you linked the picture of - it doesn't seem to be a standard combiner.
Here's everything you need though - How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable - HTH - Logi.

logiciel

You're welcome - I'll pass your thanks on to Martin who runs that organisation.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom