Trying to decide (Q70T or Q80T) (Local Dimming or not)

nickoskr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. This is my first post.

I am ready to make a purchase in November-December.

Viewing distance: 3 meters (10feet)
Viewing position: Straight with no angle
Lighting conditions: 1 Side window.
Main content: Movies, Series and maybe I will buy ps5 in the future
Sources: Streaming mainly and HDR content
Quality requirements: Bright image & Good black not blurred gray image around bright objects

Seeing comparisons and various reviews I came up with QLED (VA panel) based on my preferences.

I also visit a retail store and compared the QLED lineup next to the new NANOCELL TVs which are in about the same budget

I have a problem that I do not understand about the blooming effect that occurs on TVs with Full-Array lighting.
I saw some videos comparing the new Sony XH9505 with the Q80t for example and it shows a gray area around the subtitles.
Sony was worse than Samsung. With a little more research I realized that it happens differently in every TV brand (with Full Array, Direct led, etc) and it is a bit annoy

I want to make a conclusion and I need your help with the following question.

Should I initially give the extra money for example to go from Q70T to Q80T that has Local Dimming? worth it? I know HDR will make a difference in terms of peak brightness but is it worth the money just for that (and some extra features of course) And if they worth the extra money, is the issue with the subtitles and the blooming effect so intense? Does anyone own the Q80T tell me if there is this problem?

Because if I buy a TV for approximately 1500 euros (here in Greece) and when I watch all the movies with subtitles, it will break my nervous system.

I also see that without local dimming the Q70t has a better Contrast ratio than the Q80T.
I mention QLED as an example because I'm closer to Samsung because of the good black uniformity and contrast ratio. Although I am afraid of Samsung in terms of reliability and after sale support ...

Of course, I'm open to any other TV suggestions around the same budget.

Have you considered an OLED TV? They have per pixel dimming and therefore don't suffer from blooming like LCD TVs do.
QLED is just an LCD TV btw.

Have you considered an OLED TV? They have per pixel dimming and therefore don't suffer from blooming like LCD TVs do.
QLED is just an LCD TV btw.

I know that QLED is just an LCD. I've made my research. :p But the cost of OLED in Greece right now for 65 inches (for LG CX65'' for example) is double of Q70T. 1099 euros Q70T vs 1999 euros LG CX

I just need to know if the blooming on Q70T is better than the Q80T when subtitles are displayed.

The Q70T is not worth considering. Its an edge lit TV that is dim, without good local dimming.

I'd consider the Sony XH9505 if I were you, its more costly, but worth the extra.

If I was on a limited budget, the Hisense U8Q.

Q70T - Mentioned above, edge lit and no good local dimming, dim.
Q80T - A big improvement over the Q70T, but still quite dim for HDR standards.
Sony XH9005 - Also doesn't really make the cut where HDR is concerned.

If you don't mind about HDR, then it doesn't matter so much going for the Q70T, Q80T or Sony XH9005. If you want some future proofing and you want the TV to cope with HDR better you need the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q, even the Samsung Q90T.

Blooming is a by-product of LCD TVs with FALD technology. Your choices to reduce blooming are:

1. Bias lighting or ambient light in the room. If you watch TV with lights on, or with bias lighting behind the TV you won't notice it as much.
2. Buy an LCD TV that has better blooming suppression, and more zones. Samsung models have the edge in this area compared to Sony, but it comes at the cost of losing detail close to black. This is only an issue if you are watching in dark conditions.
3. Buy a cheaper edge lit LCD TV like the Q70T and get stuck with raised black levels throughout the entire screen. Picture quality will be worse, especially in dark conditions because the TV has no way to dim one zone, but light another. On the other hand because of this, the entire screen will have raised blacks and you won't notice blooming around subtitles. This option is the worst of the 3 in my opinion, and should only be considered if A. You don't use HDR on the TV and B. You only watch with bright lighting.

Worth considering that if you buy right now, prices will be on the high side. Not sure about Greece, but the LG BX has recently been reduced in the UK to £1500. Prices will come down in time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom