1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to decide between Panasonic E55 and E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidcotton, Nov 23, 2004.

1. davidcotton

Aug 5, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

Well as the videos semi knackered and I never watch tapes anymore figured I'd get my self a dvd recorder.

Now I've narrowed it down to the one of the pannys either the e85 or the 55.

As far as I cant tell the major difference between the two is just having the harddrive on the 85, is this correct.

Reason I'm having a hard time choosing is that I just had Sky Plus installed. So I figured I can copy on to sky plus and then just burn on to dvd- the few programs that I'm likely to want to keep (sadly not that many these days:(). So seeing as I have sky plus and am not going to be burning that many (I tend to buy the films on dvd that I want to keep)would the 55 make more sense from a value point of view?

Also wheres the cheapest place in the uk to order from right now on one if I do go for a 55? I see that RGB Direct do a multi region (which would be a nice bonus, meaning I could junk the other player as well as the vhs and free some more space) at £198.00. Any cheaper around or is that the average price atm? Also which -r would be best to get and where from?

2. Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Dixon were doing a web offer on the E55 of £179 it's not multi-region though but it really depends on how much you need this. I have a post on this site already on where to get the cheepest E85 (from Germany) and it is costing me just €460 inclusive of shipping (that's £320). While I agree that once you have sky+ you will not need the HDD option as much it is more for what if you decide to get a STB instead of sky (usually due to their constant increases in price), anyway for the extra £100 or so I think that I would much rather the E85 but you pays the money and makes the choice.