Trying to connect Windows 10 laptop, basic questions

Clueless noob

Novice Member
As my screen name implies, I am clueless. I just set up a Hisense model 50a6g and am trying to connect my Windows 10 laptop to it. I'd like to use the laptop wirelessly to play dvds and other things on my tv. I can connect to the tv using screen sharing, but the laptop does not show on the tv. I checked Microsoft forums, the only suggestion I found relevant to this issue was I should be connecting to the multi media device listed, not the tv. Should the tv be set to a specific channel, or what app should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.

Clueless noob

Novice Member
Firestick and Kodi look like what I want. Is it easy to use? Also, are you only able to share video libraries? I may be reading your suggestion wrong. I was hoping to play old console games using an emulator and dvds.

Ruffuz

Firestick and Kodi look like what I want. Is it easy to use? Also, are you only able to share video libraries? I may be reading your suggestion wrong. I was hoping to play old console games using an emulator and dvds.
video/music/pictures

Kodi also has some plugins for emulators but never tried.

next010

Distinguished Member

A Raspberry Pie running batocera would be what your looking for with emulation and media playback but there is a bit of work involved in setting this up.

If the Hisense 50a6g is a google Chromecast receiver you can use Airparrot to stream the windows desktop to the TV via wireless, this can be fine for video but games might be too laggy.

Clueless noob

Novice Member
"
If the Hisense 50a6g is a google Chromecast receiver you can use Airparrot to stream the windows desktop to the TV via wireless, this can be fine for video but games might be too laggy."

I checked, It looks like I have to buy a separate receiver for Chromecast. I decided to try Ruffuz's first suggestion and bought a wireless hdmi connection kit. Unfortunately, Windows does not find the device. Still looking into it.

Quote Reply

Ruffuz

"
If the Hisense 50a6g is a google Chromecast receiver you can use Airparrot to stream the windows desktop to the TV via wireless, this can be fine for video but games might be too laggy."

I checked, It looks like I have to buy a separate receiver for Chromecast. I decided to try Ruffuz's first suggestion and bought a wireless hdmi connection kit. Unfortunately, Windows does not find the device. Still looking into it.

View attachment 1552705

Quote Reply

Just for the record, my advice was for a cable or firestick :)

Clueless noob

Novice Member
Well, firestick is wireless and cable implies hdmi, so... you led me to a solution. I bought an IOGear wireless hdmi kit. The documentation sucks though. I would have preferred a dongle to dongle set up, but it looks like none are available. Thanks.

Ruffuz

Well, firestick is wireless and cable implies hdmi, so... you led me to a solution. I bought an IOGear wireless hdmi kit. The documentation sucks though. I would have preferred a dongle to dongle set up, but it looks like none are available. Thanks.

Firestick(goes into tv) has wifi and you can share your laptop media library over wifi also.
So, no need for wireless hdmi kits or any cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom