1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to buy a plasma (long rant)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nicke20, Dec 31, 2004.

1. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Or my day out in Chester

I have really narrowed down my list of panels
    super cheap pw6 all in
    pw7 for hopeful hdmi
    phd7
    435xde

I started with my local shop (only stocks pioneer) i was let loose with the 50" xde in my honest opinion I could never live with the quality of picture via analogue inputs

So off I went to Chester, I had picked two High end shops that pride themselves on quality of service and product. First shop had only a 435 xde (just as bad as the 50”) so I enquired about the pw7, “yes sir to order, ill check the price…. The pw6 was £2600.00 so I guess it will be a bit more” I made my excuses and left
    Shop 2 (7 staff, 2 customers), pw7 in use showing nemo. I ask if it can be fed a freeview or sky signal and am told that they don’t have the necessary board, So I enquire if they stock the hd version “This is the hd version sir” me “no it’s not it sd”… “no sir its 1024 resolution” me “urm that’s an alis panel Panasonic don’t make an alis panel this is 480 can you give me a price on the hd model please” … “as it says £1999.00 on the price ticket” I made more excuses and left

Last stop richer sounds to pick up a yammy 750se for my brother ( you have to ask them to price match their own website(£50.00 cheaper than shelf price)) pw6 playing in shop.
    The shop was very busy and I explained I would not be buying now but what was feeding the panel ,the member of staff disappears then comes back “ freeview via scart” so I ask if I may see some football or cricket on it, no problem. The staff bent over backwards to help a customer who had told them he was not buying.

I’m off to see a friends phd7 on Saturday and have the cash ready to purchase but it would appear that most local retailers have no interest in selling to me.

Anybody local to Chester care to guess shop 1 & 2 ??

no prizes for the 3 online retailers i will be picking between

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I'm not a retailer myself, so no axe to grind, but I would imagine that they might get rather :censored: off with people wanting demos, and then toddle off home to buy online. Local retailers can't hope to compete in price with online sellers that don't employ sales staff, don't have to rent shop space in downtown areas, and don't have to shop-soil their stock in order to demonstrate them. I used to manage a shop quite a long time ago, and found it a thankless task, and that was in the days before the internet came along :)

3. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dont get me wrong, I would buy localy but never got the chance, how can you deal with a shop manager who insists that a pw7 is hd and 1024 line resolution ?
    or how can you take a shop 0.5 mile from RS that has a pw6 for £2600 where RS's is £1299 seriously :suicide:

4. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But surely the answer has to be for retailers to set up their demos properly in the first place.
    Feed each display with a decent range of signals (freeview, dvd, analogue) then secure a remote to the set and let the customer have a play.

Customers will generally prefer to pay a small premium with a local retailer if:

A: He's not asked to part with thoudands of pounds on the strength of an inadequite demo.
    B: He can have the kit on the day or a pre-determined date.
    C: If he can get better post-sale support.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not criticising anyone here. We all do it (well I do, anyway). Recently we needed a new vacuum cleaner, and we couldn't view them adequately online. So we went down to Curry's, found the one we liked, and then went home and bought it on Amazon for about £40 cheaper :)

If you have 10 brands of plasma in stock, and you display each one, that's a heck of a lot of money invested that's earning you practically nothing.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have been there.....THe only way i think shops can compete is like RS On price or to offer wonderful service loads of advice and have staff who know what they are doing and can demonstarte most options in store

7. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The probolem is that most of the sales people in the shops are on commsion and they no nothing about what they sell. I suspect that the sales people in richer sounds do not get paid commision as because of this they provide better customer service.

Just be glad you managed to see some of the plasma's you were interested in. I tried yesterday and out of 5 shops NONE had a display model i wanted

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somehow, glad to see that retail shops as well as large stores in the U.K. provide plasma demos and advices that are as bad and inadequate (try "ridiculously off reality" :laugh: ) as we do have here in France.
    Sorry, couldn't resist... :blush:

Add to that manufacturers marketing "tactics" that have them decide that they won't sell such or such equipment in this or that country, not to mention a rather fuzzy outlook for future TV standards in Europe, and you have the perfect recipe for frustrated, procrastinating buyers... :suicide:

9. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Avoid high street stores like the plague. Try and find a good local AV dealer who knows what they are talking about. Alot of the staff in these places actually have an interest in AV equipment to begin with. Most of them will bend over backwards to show you what each panel can do. And they are usually cheaper than high street stores too.

10. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thats my point, these where local av dealers not hight street multichains !!
    the point about not competing against net prices is not valid, I'll bet wager that many of the big sellers (mention no names) have good old bricks and mortar premises but being in a techy market have embraced the technology and moved foreward. :smashin:

11. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peters Hi-Fi one of em?? not sure if they are still there or not, a while since i've been to chester

Gary

12. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lol thats no2

13. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, after his "friends house" demo, I think Nick has made up his mind... :)