1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to buy a 32" Sharp Aquos.. need opinions, please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ///3oris, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ///3oris

///3oris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm looking for a TV for my bedroom and decided that I want a 32" LCD. I went to a local Best Buy to check some of the displays out and out of all of them the Aquos seemed to have the clearest, smoothest, brightest picture. The only thing I noticed, and this is the reason for my post, is that when there is a very slow moving graphic on the screen I can see the object being redrawn. Almost as if I can see the scanning of the pixels and how they get redrawn (I think it's called interlacing??). Now... I'm not a videophile, and I don't look for things like that... so to those of you who have this display, have you noticed what I'm talking about? I pointed it out to two salespeople... one saw it right away, the other couldn't see it at all. This is one of the few things keeping me from pulling the trigger. That, and the fact that the Aquos displayed almost cartoonish like images... unless it's just in my head.

In addition to the above question I'd just like to ask for some more opinions on this forum about 32" LCD's, since I'm fairly new and Best Buy ONLY had HD signal going to these TV's. My TV will 99% of the time be used for standard cable (not HD or even Digital) while at the same time being hooked up to my computer to watch DVD's, Video's, Slide shows, etc. It's mainly a toy addon for my computer, not really for a home theater. Is there another TV which might be better for my needs? Based on the limited amount of TV's that I've seen (some 32" Tobishba, Sony, Sony XBR Bravia, Sharp, Westinghouse(?)) and the reviews that I've read, the Aquos looked the best, although the salespeople said the Samsung is actually the best and has the best contrast ratio (they didn't have it on display). The more research I do, the more confused I get as to what to get. Sometimes I feel there are TOO many options. Anyway, any comments appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Boris

P.S. I don't want to spend over $2,000 in a store... probably around $1300-1800 is what it would cost online. My original budget was $1500, but I'd rather pay more to get something worth keeping. Thanks. This is the TV I was thinking about getting: http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=5433124/id_type=M/ it's about $1700 on clearance at Best Buy (afraid to buy an LCD from an e-retailer just yet).

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    No views just an observation that you are probably from the USA, "most" users here are from UK. We could give feedback about PAL Aquos, and NTSC (R1) DVD playback, but not help with NTSC tuner performance.

It is also likely that the US Aquos is different to UK/Euro version so you will have to treat any suggestion with caution.

This existing thread may help:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184913&highlight=aquos

3. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, ive just hooked up my 32" P50 to my PC via a HDMI to DVI cable to watch some HD movie clips, and all i can say is WOW! :eek: For a set which is only supposed to display 960x540, downscaled 720p and 1080i looks stunning! Just as good as any other "HD ready" set that i've seen. It really is that good. :smashin:
    Now if only i can get that PAL progressive scan issue sorted...

4. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great 8472!! This is just the news I've been looking for. Can I ask what graphics card/settings you're using to connect via HDMI? How does the desktop look? I've got a 37" P50 and am looking to buy a DVI-HDMI cable for this purpose.

Thanks.

5. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am also interested in how a windows desktop / web surfing will look via the p50's hdmi ....is it ok????? i would guess not...but would like someone to confirm this in practice.

6. ///3oris

///3oris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I didn't realize this was mostly a UK forum. I'll try someplace else.

What is the P50?

By the way, based on some reviews I've read about the Syntax Olevia LT-32HVE, I'm considering getting that one now. It seems to work great connected to a PC and watching non-Digital signals (which are most imprtant to me). It's also only $1,000 shipped, so even if I want something new a few years from now I don't feel bad about getting rid of a cheap TV.

I have no idea how you guys choose an LCD TV, I mean there are sooo many out there. I'm overwhelmed with all the specs, opinions and options. As soon as I see a TV that I like and start comparing it to others, I immediately see another one which is cheaper or has something better, etc. Too many choices!!

By the way, when it comes to PC connectivity/signals, I don't think it matters whether you have the Euro or US variant of the TV... they're probably the same, no?

Can anyone give me some advice on how I can 'complete this transaction' and just settle for a TV? Once again, I care most about PC performance (that's where I'll be streaming my DVD/DivX movies/etc. from anyway), but I also care about analog inputs (standard cable). I couldn't care less about HD performance... and it's so hard to compare TV's, since that's all reviewers (and many users) concentrate on.

Thanks again! :)

7. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Check out avsforum.com

There are still many valid opinions on Avforums.com, many products cross the pond unaltered. So no need to delete the IE favourite just yet :) .

The P50 is a Standard Definition LCD Panel 540x960, which has been developed to give optimal performance of PAL signal 576 lines. The main disappointment of HD LCD's is the performance of SD material being scaled up (576 lines PAL to 768 lines).

HD material universally is acclaimed as excellant by HD LCD owners.

Another "benefit" of the P50 range is that 540 is half 1080 so the scaling of 1080i material should be easier (can't see it myself, but I have not seen one in action).

Unlike ATSC in USA via sat, cable, or OTA in the UK HD transmission have not started, and will when they do be sat ppv. SD will be transmitted for at least 5-10 years, so there is a market for large LCD's which actually look good with SD material.

8. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It might have the interpolation mode (known as Movement Compensation or DNM on the latest models) turned on. This is a system that is similar to Philips's Pixel Plus.

Try the TV with this mode turned on and off and see which is best for you.

9. ///3oris

///3oris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks for that explanation. I saw some TV's with P50 in their model number, so I thought he was referring to those. I see why it's part of their model number now.

Never heard of that system, but next time I'm in the store I'll ask them about it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

By the way... I think I found "the one." http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_LNR329D I was drooling over the specs all day long today. Two friends who are helping me search for a TV gave me a thumbs up on this one. What's selling me on this one is: lots of inputs incl. PC (1360x768 support, no futsing with 1366x768--seems to trim the 3 pixels on each side by itself), amazing 3000:1 contrast ratio (even though it's dynamic, I'm sure it's far greater than the 600-1000:1 on all the TV's I see right now), 8ms refresh. On top of all that it has a built in ATSC tuner for some local OTA channels (I htink I have 5 broadcasting locally in HD) it's a nice plus. I'm going to the store tomorrow to take a look at this TV, but last years model. They have it on clearance (floor model) and it looked far better than every other TV I saw in that store besides the Sharp Aquos (but Sharp looked more cartoonish).

If any of you video-geeks (meant in a good way ;)) don't mind, please take a look at those specs and give me thumbs up/thumbs down. I'm going to order it next week unless I find another reason to look at another TV over this one. It just came out, so there are only 2-3 reviews that I could find online about it :(.

I just took a picture of my Samsung phone's LCD screen (not sure if that's a tell of what the LCD TV will look like, but I hope it is): http://home.comcast.net/~bob.cat/Samsung_I600.jpg The picture really doesn't do it justice... but hopefully you get the point. If any Samsung owners are here, please chime in with your thoughts too.

Thanks a lot everyone!! Sorry again for being a newbie! :)

10. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be honest, I think you might be better of with a set with a higher resolution, if that is the main reason for your buy. Don't get me wrong, the picture is OK, but not in the same league as a dedicated PC monitor.

11. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Basically interpolation is where a third of the lines are added artificially.

This adds detail and gives an almost 3D depth to the picture.

Some people like it, some people says it looks un-natural.

Action sequences are the best to test to see if you like it (2Fast,2Furious chase scenes or Spiderman, Times Square scene).

Sharp, Philips, B&O and Loewe use a more noticable version of interpolation (each with their own brand name) and Sony, JVC and Panasonic's version looks more subtle.