Trying to build 2 speakers from 1 (Klipsch rf-62ii)

AdrianQ

Novice Member
May I first say "Novice" is an extremely polite way of explaining my knowledge of speaker building.
So to my Question. I have a Klipsch rf-62ii (centre channel). It contains two drivers one tweeter. I wanted to be able to buy two tweeters and re-purpose the drivers. I would use them as rear surround as I am currently running 5.1 .
The more I read the more complicated building a speaker seems to be . I'm not looking for perfection just some decent surrounds and the accomplishment of building it myself. Can someone suggest a cabinet size and a decent tweeter and crossover, or any other information I should know
rf-62ii specs
Frequency Response 57Hz-24KHz ± 3dB Power Handling 150W RMS / 600W Peak Sensitivity 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m Nominal Impedance 8 ohms compatible High Frequency Drivers 1” (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn High Frequency Crossover 1500Hz Low Frequency Drivers Dual 6.5” (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers.

Any help would be appreciated

Member 786053

Standard Member
This is definitely doable, but you will need some testing equipment and or the T/S specs of the woofer. If you can find the T/S specs you just need Passive Crossover Designer (Free). If not, you would first start with a program like Dats v2 and a mic. I use a minidsp Umik-1. These will give you all your T/S specs in which you need to build a suitable crossover. Then just download the free crossover designer software by Jeff Bagby. If you want to learn how to make your own crossover, I created a video series teach you how to do this with this free program. Honestly, creating your own speakers is quite rewarding and you typically get better results than you would by purchasing anything of equivalent value. Plus, you get to tell everyone you built and designed your rear speakers! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom