Trying to add memory to my computer.

xarzu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Trying to add memory to my computer.

I don't remember the last time I added memory to my motherboard. And I do not know what specifics about my system you need to know in order to give me some advice.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. After I installed my memory, I powered on my computer and it would cycle between starting up and shutting down continuously. I don't know that to think. I don't know if there are some steps I am missing. The memory is brand new. Could the memory be faulty and I need to return it? Do I need to do something with the BIOS settings?

Might be worth saying what mother board you have and what memory you just added and (type and how many sticks) Also if you go into the bios and see what is says about the memory is can see. - can it see all the sticks you added ? There will be a some information on it in there

I would check the new memory is in OK, check it fully clicked in. I would consider taking out your existing memory and just use the new ones to see if that works, just to check them.

Your motherboard may have some requirement for memory to be in specific slots on it so worth reading the manual or going on the website to find out if thats the case depending on how many sticks you have got fitted now.

So just to understand you already have 16GB and want to upgrade to 32GB with the new Ram yes?
I see that your current memory is running as 1866Mhz, (933 X2 in cpuz) but the new memory is only PC12800. If this is the case your Motherboard memory speed is too high for the new memory.

So just to understand you already have 16GB and want to upgrade to 32GB with the new Ram yes?
I see that your current memory is running as 1866Mhz, (933 X2 in cpuz) but the new memory is only PC12800. If this is the case your Motherboard memory speed is too high for the new memory.
You are right. It did not work.
I will have to return it.
What do you think of this instead?
memorysticker.png

Here is the box the two memory cards came in:

https://millionthompson.com/images/memory/box.png

Memory ratings are the maximum speed it's rated for rather than a fixed frequency, so your current memory should run at 800Mhz without issue.

It's likely the motherboard would have defaulted to whatever speed profile (SPD/XMP) all the sticks have in common and this probably wouldn't have been the cause of the issue unless you'd manually adjusted the memory frequency at some point in the past.

Depends if he had the xmp profile set to 1866 in BIOS.
@xarzu. The best thing you can do is check with your motherboard vendor to see what combinations and brand of memory are compatible.
It maybe that the motherboard is not stable enough for 4 memory modules (I have seen this before) Rather than risk this it may be a better option to buy 2x matching 16Gb modules and sell the old ones, again check if the motherboard can run in that configuration, and there's always the possibility that the new modules are faulty.

We have success. I have it working. The memory I got works.

It is actually a shock.

There were so many difficulties that I expected more difficulties,

But the BIOS recognized the memory.

The only hick-up that worried me was that when windows started, there was a statement that it was "Restarting" with that rolling icon -- you know what I am talking about, I think, That was there for hours. I was worried about doing anything but finally I had the courage to shut the computer down and restart it. And now, here I am. I mean, the fact that I am online posting this means I am back to life again.

new_memory.PNG

That's great news, have you stress tested the memory to check for stability? You can use the built in memory test for windows 10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom