1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying camcorders [moved by Networkguy]

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Wheels496, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Wheels496

Wheels496
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Does anyone know of any suppliers who will let you return a camcorder AFTER trying it?

I realise this is a very unusual request but if you're interested the following describes why.

I have successfully used a Panasonic NV27 (which I have given away) for about 2 years. After research I have decided on a Panasonic NV-GS200 (happy with my last Panasonic, good reviews in 2 magazines and decent stills without paying too much).

Anyway the main problem is my coordination. I am physically disabled with poor coordination, although as I've said I've successfully used my last camcorder. Basically I'm saying I've done my research and I'm 99% sure I'll be able to operate it successfully. However nothing beats being able to hold it and try briefly to eliminate the slight doubt.

Unfortunately, no shops in my area stock the model I'm interested in.

I should point out, being a software engineer, understanding the technology isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you buy via mail order from the UK, you will be covered by the Distance Selling Regs - which will give you seven days to return the camera if you decide that it is unsuitable. It wil just cost you the return postage.

Just remember to carefully unwrap and then re-wrap, as the goods must be returned in an as new and re-saleable condition.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Once a camcorder battery has been charged it can't be sold as new so don't use the battery if you intend to do this.

Have you got a local Jessops I used to work for them and I know many of the stores were excellent at arranging demos and can request items they don't stock. I'd try to book a demo on a weekday morning and try to find out in advance who their best digital camcorder person is. If your local store doesn't play ball email Derek Hine (Jessops CE) and explain the problem and you should get somewhere.

The Panasonic looks great and I'm toying with getting one next year. There's also a JVC model that boast progressive scan which caught my eye but costs more.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I agree about trying Jessops. I have used them for camcorder & digicam purchases in the past and always found them very helpful - and most of the time the sales staff seem to know what they are talking about.
    Also, Jessops will pricematch the best UK web site price you can find (normally!) as long as you supply them with the contact details of the site.

Mark.