1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Try CRT before buying a projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Oct 5, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, like most people, thought that high end CRT projection systems were for people in mansions with tens of thousands of pounds budget. However, it ISN'T. It can be very reasonable and the results are truely stunning.

I went for a demo of a used Barco Data 808 last night supplied by Roland (B4) and set up in Stuarts (Spectre) home cinema room.

Anyway, to say I was astounded by the quality of the image from this projector would not be doing it justice, it was simply magnificent and I imediately wanted it.
    Granted, an 808 is a slightly large beast and not every room would accomodate it comfortably, but if you're serious about your home cineme then I'm in no doubt that this is the way to go.

The projector was driven by a PC running at something like 1280 * 720 and the image was breathtaking, it had absolutely no sign of line structure, detail was fantastic, even in dark shadows and the image was crisp and clear. I'd say that I prefered the image to my local multiplex. You get the benefit of being able to pause the film for berr/coffee/toilet breaks too.

I was well impressed, Roland however claimed that in a proper set up, rather that just stuck on the floor the quality could be improved (I couldn't see how).

I'd just like that thank everyone for being so helpfull and accomodating.

Roland is Barco trained and the image he got from a short amount of time to set up the projector was amazing, I couldn't really see how it could be improved as it was good enough to persuade me that I NEEDED that projector.

If you want Projection and have room, then contact Roland and prepare to become a slack jawed yokel!

I had a panel of experts pointing out what to look for, where it would be a significant improvement ove LCD/DLP etc. Aslo I got a run down on the benefits of Homecinema PC from Neil (Jenz), and Rod Keith from Stands Unique was there giving me the benefit of his experience with high end CRT.

Overall you could almost describe it as a life changing night!

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Wow Nick you know a lot of people considering this is your first post. ;)

Jeff

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nick
    It was great to meet you.
    I am humbled by your praise.
    I know like a lot of peole you have been monitoring the forum gathering information. That's what we are here for.

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff, I've been biding my time. Checking the forums and also the links from JENZ site etc.

I must say it was a totally worthwhile experience. I'd 80% made up my mind based on what I'd read etc, but I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I'm now 110% sure. Infact once my room is decorated and I have a PC sorted out I'll be having Roland round to instal the projector by the end of the month.

I'm going to make my debut on the HCPC board now, as I need a PC asap.

Now I've contributed once, I'll hopefully be a regular!

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sorry I was in one of those moods, welcome to the forum Nick.

Jeff

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries Jeff. I didn't think you sounded in a mood. I'm quite a shy guy, but now I've unleashed myself on the forum there'll be no getting rid.

Thanks for the welcome.

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Couple of points. Our near production HTPC spec was not what you saw ;)

In fact that was what we moved onto after you left. We have made some improvements that significantly improve the image above and beyond what you saw. It is not however as stable as we would like at this time so we did not show it. Basically if you liked what you saqw (as it sounds) then this is even better.

Regards Neil.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Did i miss a mini "Event"? :rolleyes:

It looks like a will be using my HTPC with my CRT. So i will be a frequent visiter to the HTPC page in the next few weeks!.

(That is when i buy a CRT first!) :D

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Fulabeer
    I've been holding back on the crt until I get my HCPC done - I thought it would be best to get Roland to set it up specifically for the source.
    Am I wrong - doesn't it matter?

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Alex Simon ]

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The HTPC was already setup for my old MT1.

I was hoping to just get the CRT for:-
    640x480
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x720
    And maybe something like:-
    1280x960
    1280x1024
    1600x1200
    (if the PJ goes that high!)
    I've just bought a new Sony 16x DVD rom, which needs the firmware updating to multi region.
    I'm also awaiting the release of the new ATI 8500 graphics card, which has some new DVD playback enhancements.
    I would still prefer a more "Plug & Play" HTPC etc. But i intend to use the PC for Flight sim/F1 racing sim/other games etc.
    But if the right "Pre-made HTPC" comes out. With scaling for use with the Cable/video etc at the right price, that is just switch on and go, then i may dump the PC and just use an Xbox for games and the "HTPC" just for movies etc.

Jenz....get your skates on!

Now to name Jenz's new HTPC:-

Kryton.....Already done
    Rock.......Already done
    Stuff(the)rock..Lawsuit
    Chuckrock..A game
    7275nojudderhertzer.....
    R2D2....... err i think i've heard this some where before!
    Vigaquadscanco+...Same a Dnaler QVCB4 CRT?

"The Jenzinator" yep thats the one!

If i buy one, i better to be able to see:-
    A smooth bridge
    No crap on the boats
    Three shades of green on the veg patch
    No judder on the slow pan
    Smooth tiles
    Straight edge buildings
    +
    Clear straw
    The bookcase
    The affro haircut (samual)
    The red leather coat shining
    No colour bleed
    And yes i will never watch these films again either!. :D

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Fulabeer

I think you have been staying in too much.
    You are starting to show signs of not having a projector.
    Try to go out and meet real people.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Paul these could be VERY high bandwidth stuff, particualrly if you got the 72 / 75 Hz route. These number will be thrown around willy nilly on AVS, achieving them is easier said than done. Bandwidth would need to be up to 207 MHz for 1600 x 1200 @ 72 Hz. A CineMax can only do 180 Mhz!

Perhaps you might want to re asses what you actually want?

Been there, done that and found the problems!
    :D

13. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a very happy LCD projector newbie, however I realise the benefits of a CRT projector. However the problem is still the size/weight and how it looks attached to the house. Its a pity they cant make a portable CRT projector!.

Even with our house with 4 bedrooms there is no real ideal place for such a large CRT projector. The ideal place would be the lounge which is 26 feet by 12 feet but the better half wont allow something like that especially as it will mess up the patterned ceiling.

James

14. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi Nic!.
    The higher resolutions are not for HTPC use, just for windows and gaming at 60hz etc.
    Even then i won't need the high ones, just if the PJ can be setup to dislay them (just in case) etc.
    I will not be running the PJ above 1024x768 much anyway as games start to slow down to much etc.
    I'm going to Scotland this weekend, and i'm not going to think about PJs until at least monday!(who am i kidding!) :D

15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    My 1209 is best at 1280 x 720 for anamorphic and 1280 x 960 for non anamorphic.
    I can't imagine you would do anything but make the picture worse at higher resolutions even if the projector did them all.

16. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I was hoping Roland was going to comment on the 1280x1024 1600x1200 resolutions being pie in the sky. But he didn't bite hard enough!
    I was tempted to post saying i wanted 2500x2000 at 96hz and 100hz out of a Cine 7, but thought that was going to far! :D

But windups aside. I won't know the max resolution the PJ will show until it's setup. I bet it's kinda like finding a PJs sweetspot.

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Paul: It's exactly like finding the sweetspot!

I remember seeing a Dreamcast import, driving game almost 2 years ago on a 9ft wide screen at a customers....WOWOWOWOWOW! I would guess PC games now with current video cards will be MEGA!

Speak soon,

Gordon

18. redbull

redbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick mention about size, as James mentioned how a CRT would look attached to the house. I think, more importantly, it maight be how the house looks atached to the CRT!!!!!

I guess I'm quite lucky living in Yorkshire, we can still afford nice big houses here! One of my criteria was to have a room about 14 by 9 feet for a PJ, and ended up with one that had a 15.5 by 10 foot room, with high ceilings, ideal for a large CRT. It's worth the trade off with the G/F as she has the other 7 rooms , but a compromise was reached over the bathroom!

I can apreciate LCD and DLP, and the many advantages they have. But CRT was so striking that I should have one within the month.

I'm NICK BULL by the way, it's just that i had to use a new logon at work as I couldn't remember the password.

19. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Indeed they are Gordon!

I was running my BD600 at 800x600p while playing Need For Speed 4 Porsche Challenge and it is amazing even on my pitiful 5ft screen, and with only TNT2 16mb PCI graphics, mind you the sound was good, 4.0.

Band of Brothers was good tonight also.
    My dad was in my cinema for the first time and was suitably impressed, and that is running composite video interlaced, and not properly converged!

Goes to show anyone can be converted!