Try before you Buy?

Picardobuzz

No TV is perfect - there are general problems across a range, problems in individual units and arguments with manufacturers as to whether issues are "within tolerance" etc, etc.

Anyway, I now want a new high-end TV but am just too terrified I'll drop 4 grand and I won't be happy with it. Is there any way I can try one at home for at least a week before committing to that unit, or returning it, no questions asked? I don't want to buy one and then have to argue with the retailer to return it.

Any thoughts?

mikej

One problem with what you want to do is that big TVs usually requiring a two-man team to both deliver and collect, which is even more awkward at the moment due to the current Covid situation and lockdown restrictions. I can also imagine most retailers being resistant to this type of approach as they wouldn't then be able to re-sell any return as 'new' ? Some may also expect you to cover any return costs if the TV isn't faulty.

Saying that, I'm sure a few do offer 'no quibble' returns if you aren't satisfied (eg. Costco ?) and I expect you might have rights to return a TV ordered online under the 'Consumer Contracts Regulations' (which replaced the old 'Distance Selling Regs') within 14 days of receiving it. You'd have to check both the regulations and the retailer's T&Cs to see if you'd have to cover return courier costs in this situation.

I think it would make more sense to audition at the retailer, but this would obviously have to be after the current restrictions are lifted. There are still a few knocking around who offer demos in dedicated rooms - Richer Sounds for example. I actually spent a good hour or so in John Lewis checking out my current OLED before I bought it - I just asked for the remote and they left me alone to have a play. Not as ideal as a home or demo room audition admittedly, but better than nothing and lot less hassle than buying and returning.

Picardobuzz

I expect you might have rights to return a TV ordered online under the 'Consumer Contracts Regulations' (which replaced the old 'Distance Selling Regs') within 14 days of receiving it.

That would probably be the best bet - just unpack carefully and save all packaging. I wouldn't mind £100 or so to get it returned if it saved 2 years of regret living with a very expensive TV that I'm not happy with!

The other problem of course is that what you test in the first week is not necessarily what you have in a month's time with software updates sometimes seeming to ruin as much as they fix and there's no going back. I would love to try older firmwares on my Sony KD75XE9405 to see if they are better than what I have now but it can't be done.

I think it could still be months before I can go into a store - I'm too impatient to wait that long!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom