1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Try a sub on the rear

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GearHead, Dec 29, 2001.

1. GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've recently upgraded to a REL Storm III sub and consequently had a Yamaha YST-SW150 doing nothing so I decided out of curiosity to try it connected to the rear speakers. Bloody marvellous !!

I've recently been cursing the fixed 90Hz crossover on my Yamaha A/V amp. Too high for the front speakers, too low for the rears. I'm still using an old pair of Mordaunt Short CS-1s at the rear which are quite compact and discrete but roll-off at about 120/130Hz. As a consequence the rear channels always seemed to lack body due to the crossover with the sub not reaching up high enough to meet the bottom end of the speakers.

Even if I could raise the crossover frequency in the processor to match the rear speakers we would definitely be into an area where the localisation would occur.

So, I hooked YST-SW150's high-level inputs to the rear speakers and set the rears to "large" in the processor. Set the crossover on the sub to 120Hz, bit of tuning of the level with a few test tones and away we go. What a difference. Good, solid rear sounds and a real opening up of the ambiance and atmosphere. Very much out of proportion to what I was expecting. There really does seem to be a lot of low frequncy/low level information going to the back of the room that really does make a difference when reproduced there.

For the cost of a cheap sub (or zero cost if you have one left over) - this is definitely worth doing.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Never tried this myself, but sounds interesting. Unfortunately i dont have a cheap sub lying around to give it a go.

I have heard of some Bass Heads having two, three and even 5 subs in their rooms, I think this is a little OTT.

Allan, you must be having great fun experimenting with your set up! Keep Us Updated.