Try a new Receiver or tweak my Pioneer VSX-2016 ...thoughts?

Simba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My speaker setup is per my sig and im considering trying out a new AV receiver. My trusty pio 2016 is working perfectly fine but im not sure its running at its best just now with my speakers after MCACC calibration - speaker distances are spot on, very accurate in fact and channel levels are adjust fine....im just finding that post calibration the depth and life of the sound is removed and it all goes a very bright...im finding that i just turn off all the fancy calibration (room correction, reverb, acoustic and other stuff i dont understand etc off and just leave the distances and channel level adjustments it sounds much better but it shouldnt be the case.

maybe its not matched so well to the B&W's i have as i found it fine with the KEF Cresta floorstanders they replaced...

any tips on what i should do to tweak? do i need an SPL? im tempted to just get an X2000 or V675 as i could do with a whole lot more hdmi inputs...

scary how cheap these things are now...

Does it sound good witht he MACC turned off? If so then leave it off and sit back and enjoy it. There is no rule that sys room correction will sound better or even that you have to use it. If you are happy with the sound when it is turned off then just leave it turned off.

Does it sound good witht he MACC turned off? If so then leave it off and sit back and enjoy it. There is no rule that sys room correction will sound better or even that you have to use it. If you are happy with the sound when it is turned off then just leave it turned off.

Yep much better turned off for me.....

Have you followed the guidance in this post and/or this one from the MCACC mega-thread at AVS Forums ?

Definitely worth looking at the reverb graphs - you can tweak the capture delay time to alter when low-end frequencies or high-end frequencies reach the set-up mic - some folks have had great results (well, so far - I'm up to about page 90 on that topic, around about 2012, and learning new stuff daily).

PS Do make sure your speakers are set to SMALL and crossover to 80Hz (assuming your lowest specced speaker can go lower than this)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom