1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trv 950?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by adammc32, Aug 17, 2004.

1. adammc32

adammc32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im considering buying a trv 950 to use in a housing for dive video footage.
    Ive read some threads and seem to think that the trv 950 dosent cope too well with low light, is this the case?
    I also read that the trv 900 is better than the 950 in low light is this the case? and does anyone know where I could get one?
    Could anyone reccomend another 3 ccd camera with good low light sensitivity, i dont need gimmicks like bluetooth just a reliable quality camcorder (also need good manual adjustments)

Thanks.

adam

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I own the TRV-900 and think it is a great camcorder and for a mini DV cam is very good in low light. Although saying that mini DV cams are poor compared to old analogue cams at low light filming, but the TRV-900 is one of the better ones.
    When the TRV-950 was released I was very interested in it and had a good look at one. IMHO Sony replaced quality on the new cam with gimmicks such as bluetooth etc which I see very little use for.

As for buying one - well it has been discontinued for a long while now, so if you do find one new you will be very lucky I think. I have just spent about an hour searching the internet for it and got nothing. Several sites point to www.microwarehouse.co.uk with a price of just under £2000 (thats more than I paid for mine 3+ years ago on the high street), but when you go to the site they say no items found. I think you may need to go second hand if you do want the TRV900.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Mark.

3. adammc32

adammc32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mark, had a look at the link and found nothing, cant find a trv 900 anywhere,

ThanksI think I may have to go for the vx 2100 which Ive found cheaper than £2000 but have to spend more on housing it unless I import one from the states which is half the price (housing that is)

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A condition 1 (more or less mint) trv900 is on the jessops used equipment website at their bracknell brance. Offer them £550 but be prepared to pay £600. you'll get a years guarantee with that.

Do a search for 'beale's corner' a trv900 dedicated site.

Would recommend 900 over 950. Gives you a lot of spare cash to play with.

The VX21oo has biger ccds (1/3inch vs 1/4) sot he low light will be marginally better. Only you can decode whether the extra is worth it.

5. adammc32

adammc32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy, just tried ringing them, cant get an answer though the 900 will sae me enough money that I will be able to get some hid lighting, will have to ring tomorrow for availibility, Cheers