Trusty Tahr – aka ‘Ubuntu 14.04′

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Synchro, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,537
    Anyone getting slightly excited about its release?

As someone who has been using 12.04 desktop and 12.04 server, I can admit to being someone who is impatiently waiting.

Tick follows tock.......

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    I wouldn't say excited but it will be nice to see if Ubuntu can really make more steps towards being a polished operating system, personally it's still not in the same league as windows or osx (which ubuntu leans towards more as inspiration).

To me there's a huge gap, Ubuntu is fine for either that most absolute basic user or a linux guru deeply familiar with everything linux, there's no GUI power user in between those two which is what Windows excels at.

Command line is never far away to get anything done in Ubuntu, the app store is riddled with junk is the only way to put it that is also often command line based.

If I say for instance on Windows want to install a DLNA media server I download the app run the installer and hey presto I'm in business, on OSX I download the dmg then drag the icon to apps and I'm in business.

On Ubuntu I search the app store and it brings back a command line version of miniDLNA that must be edited with text files to be configured and applications outside the app store that have a GUI installer for linux are as rare as hens teeth.

Another example is steam, get steam from app store and it asks to set up Ubuntu one account, do that go back to store and get steam then steam downloads it's own installer which brings up a command line window asking for root access authentication and y/n responses then showing all the guts of the steam installer.

There's a level of polish missing on Ubuntu if it's taking OSX as it's inspiration,
    * there needs to be a much stronger emphasis on everything being GUI based no command lines that goes for third party apps outside app store too.
    * filtering the ubuntu app store to GUI apps only.
    * overall fit and finish needs to be better, I would still see various command line verbose screens pop up on Ubuntu booting or shutting down on the various PC's I've installed it on.

Minor stuff to some but the distinct impression I was left with was amateurish. Hopefully Ubuntu 14 improves things as I would like to see a desktop linux OS step up to the plate as it's going to be Android/ChromeOS otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,537
    I hear you. Today, I installed TT into VMware Player. Seems very nice out of the box. Liking the new file manager....a lot!