Trusted place

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a trusted place or seller selling mobile phones.

I'm after Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4.

Any recommandations please?

Our hugely popular classified ads section on here?
Well yes, thanks, that's an option, but as much as classifieds are popular there is no protection whatsoever. If I get a brick in a box there is nothing I can do and it's my word against the seller's. I'm looking for other options as well.

As long as you deal with an established trader, get plenty of photos, and obtain all relevant details, AVF classifieds really don't present a huge risk.

Of course you can never eliminate risk entirely, but I've got over 400 trades here and yet to have a bad experience.

As long as you deal with an established trader, get plenty of photos, and obtain all relevant details, AVF classifieds really don't present a huge risk.

Of course you can never eliminate risk entirely, but I've got over 400 trades here and yet to have a bad experience.
I understand that and I have nothing against classifieds. I've done a couple of trades here and have had good experience too.

However, I am also looking for other options.

Besides I can't see any on classifieds.

The S3 is a pretty old phone now (as far as tech goes). Mind me asking what you need it for or maybe what your budget is?

The S3 is a pretty old phone now (as far as tech goes). Mind me asking what you need it for or maybe what your budget is?
Gift for somebody who has been using S2 for the last 4 years or so.

Budget? A hundred? As little as possible? I really don't feel rich at all but want her to have something better than the ancient S2.

It's difficult to explain but in the situation we are in, the only way for her to be happy with the gift is if it will be better than her old phone AND I can prove that it was cheap.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Maybe something like the Moto G?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B012W8Y6Y8

This one is £135 for the 8GB Memory (expandable) and 1GB RAM. I think another £40 or so gets you the 2GB RAM version.
Thanks.

She is the kind of person that don't really take changes well. It was a nightmare each time I bought her something new tech wise (laptop phone etc). She is used to Samsung now so I thought Samsung would be the best bet.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks.

She is the kind of person that don't really take changes well. It was a nightmare each time I bought her something new tech wise (laptop phone etc). She is used to Samsung now so I thought Samsung would be the best bet.

Between the S2 and S3/S4 - the interface changed a fair bit anyway so I don't think a change to Motorola would make much difference. The base Android stuff would still be the same though

Between the S2 and S3/S4 - the interface changed a fair bit anyway so I don't think a change to Motorola would make much difference. The base Android stuff would still be the same though
Thanks very much. I'll have a closer look and read some reviews back home. Cheers

I think pretty much any phone from the last 12 months will be a huge improvement over an S2 as they are old tech. I must admit though, I change my phones very infrequently (I'm not a big 'phonie') and have been on a 4s since they launched with the intention of upgrading to a 6/s before Christmas. However, as it started to get very slow and play up, I bought a Lumia 640 to tide me over till I get a 6 and the difference is night and day.

Nice big bright screen. Runs on Windows so is a doddle to use and navigate around. It's also about £100 BNiB. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect and I do find myself cursing at certain elements of it that make performing tasks a chore when compared to IOS (but that might simply be down to familiarity with iPhones). For the price though, it's a very nice phone and might be worth you considering .

Also, if you are in the market for second hand, you could do a lot worse than use these classifieds. In my honest opinion, you'd be taking a far bigger risk using eBay or even Gumtree, than buying off a long term member here with demonstrable history and feedback. Just follow the rules and safe trading guidelines and you'll be golden :smashin:

I have an s4 with 2 genuine batteries and charger but hadn't thought of doing anything with it as I just got a Nexus 6p - I would consider parting with it if you get stuck.

I think pretty much any phone from the last 12 months will be a huge improvement over an S2 as they are old tech. I must admit though, I change my phones very infrequently (I'm not a big 'phonie') and have been on a 4s since they launched with the intention of upgrading to a 6/s before Christmas. However, as it started to get very slow and play up, I bought a Lumia 640 to tide me over till I get a 6 and the difference is night and day.

Nice big bright screen. Runs on Windows so is a doddle to use and navigate around. It's also about £100 BNiB. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect and I do find myself cursing at certain elements of it that make performing tasks a chore when compared to IOS (but that might simply be down to familiarity with iPhones). For the price though, it's a very nice phone and might be worth you considering .

Also, if you are in the market for second hand, you could do a lot worse than use these classifieds. In my honest opinion, you'd be taking a far bigger risk using eBay or even Gumtree, than buying off a long term member here with demonstrable history and feedback. Just follow the rules and safe trading guidelines and you'll be golden :smashin:
I use S4 myself. I used to like getting a new phone every year but now can't afford it so got myself S4 1.5 years ago and when the contract rans out in April I won't be getting a new one and will move to Simplicity.

I have an s4 with 2 genuine batteries and charger but hadn't thought of doing anything with it as I just got a Nexus 6p - I would consider parting with it if you get stuck.
As with everything for me lately it is a question of price (and condition). If it is a real bargain then I am interested.

I won't lie if I say that because it is meant to be a gift a good condition and a box would be nice too... but beggars can't be choosers.

Let me consider all the options first and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thank you very much for the offer.

Well, I'm not going to give it away, condition is very good, has a box - but it does have a couple of minor blemishes, let me know - I'm in no rush to do anything with it.

Watch out for the power switch on the S3 - mine went after a couple of years and it would restart itself if the switch was lightly brushed - or less! When googling it seemed a common problem, with a few diy fixes.

Smart Ultra 6 phone back down to £100 @ Vodafone

Seems to be getting really good reviews for the price (£100) and will far outperform an s3. It's on android so will be more or less the same as a samsung. It's locked to Vodafone but seems cheap to unlock, and doesn't void the warranty to do so

Seems to be getting really good reviews for the price (£100) and will far outperform an s3. It's on android so will be more or less the same as a samsung. It's locked to Vodafone but seems cheap to unlock, and doesn't void the warranty to do so

I was going to suggests that. Just keep in mind that it's a 5.5 inch screen so considerably larger.

Well, I'm not going to give it away, condition is very good, has a box - but it does have a couple of minor blemishes, let me know - I'm in no rush to do anything with it.
No worries. I wasn't expecting you to give it away :)

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind

Watch out for the power switch on the S3 - mine went after a couple of years and it would restart itself if the switch was lightly brushed - or less! When googling it seemed a common problem, with a few diy fixes.
Thanks. I'm actually quite surprise I have any choice in that price range, but seeing that I do, maybe I can rule the S3 out? I'm not sure yet. I need to sit down and have a proper look. Cheers

Thank you. Again, I'll have a proper tonight on my PC. Ironically I'm on my mobile now and am somewhat limited in my research abilities therefore :)

Thanks. I'm actually quite surprise I have any choice in that price range, but seeing that I do, maybe I can rule the S3 out? I'm not sure yet. I need to sit down and have a proper look. Cheers

I would. I loved my S3 but it is getting on a bit now. That said, mine is still in use by my family with an international SIM and seems to be getting on fine!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom