Trusted place

What about CEX for second hand? I don't know how their prices compare to others.

Another option I could consider is to get a phone through O2. We both are with O2 and have been for many years. When her contract ran out a year or so ago we moved her over to Simplicity to save money. At the moment I pay ~£11 per month for her minutes (only 100MB of data though, it was enough for years but recently she started to use more data than before) and I could upgrade her contract at any moment. My 2 year contract runs out in March / April.

I could get her a phone through O2's contract and in March / April move myself to simplicty as planned. It would still have to be quite cheap phone, as I don't want to be paying £30 per month. But at least I wouldn't have to spend cash on the phone upfront. The problem is they don't seem to have S4's anymore. However that Motorola G 3rd Gen is available for 16.50 per month with 300MB of data. Unfortunately it's a 2 years contract. I'm not sure if it wise to get into another one of those.

Just thinking aloud here.

How about an o2 SIM only?
O2 | Sim Only Deals & Contracts | O2 Simplicity Tariffs

£15 a month for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB on a 12 months contract. £36 back from TopCashBack. Works out to be 12 a month over the course of the year.
Yes, but that's just the contract. I will have to buy a phone separately. The gift meant to be a phone and a contract is just a necessary evil to get phone with no upfront costs.

Yes, but that's just the contract. I will have to buy a phone separately. The gift meant to be a phone and a contract is just a necessary evil to get phone with no upfront costs.

Yep, there is that. Just thought it might be of use, for £1 a month more than you pay for her now, you can get a chunk more allowance.

Yep, there is that. Just thought it might be of use, for £1 a month more than you pay for her now, you can get a chunk more allowance.
Yes, sorry. I did not want to sound ungrateful. I have missed that one because I was just concentrating on phones (PAYG and sim). It is a good option and definitely will consider it. Great tip about TopCashBack as well, so many times I have forgotten to use them.

Many thanks.

Yes, sorry. I did not want to sound ungrateful. I have missed that one because I was just concentrating on phones (PAYG and sim). It is a good option and definitely will consider it. Great tip about TopCashBack as well, so many times I have forgotten to use them.

Many thanks.

No worries. That's what I do with most my family now. Might also be worth talking to o2 to see what kind of SIM only or phone deal you can get, especially if you have years of loyalty with them.

No worries. That's what I do with most my family now. Might also be worth talking to o2 to see what kind of SIM only or phone deal you can get, especially if you have years of loyalty with them.
I have years of loyalty (IIRC 9 or 10 years with 2 contracts) but that seems to count to nothing when it comes to offers. Last time I tried they were adamant "so sorry, we cannot offer any discounts at the moment, but as a loyal O2 costumer for many years (with 2 contracts should I add) you have access to tickets (and other rubbish I don't need) through our brilliant Priority". If it wasn't for a good O2 signal in my area I would have changed already as they never seem to be able to offer anything as oppose to other carriers. And yes I was looking at GiffGaff as well as they use O2 network and am still considering that option.

EDIT: I'll see what they say on their chat thingy

Is that Motorola 3rg Gen really that good? I wonder how long will it take her to get used to a new interface / phone / OS version.

Is that Motorola 3rg Gen really that good? I wonder how long will it take her to get used to a new interface / phone / OS version.

I am told it is good for the price range, considering one for my Mom. If your friend can use an S2 then I don't see her having issues with any other phone.

I've watched a few reviews on YouTube of the Moto G 3rd Gen and I like what I see. I think the 5.5" screen on the Smart Ultra 6 will be a bit too big for her. I am not even sure if the 5" on the Moto G is not too big. She seem to have problems with taking care of gadgets that are delicate.

Anyway, I've watched a few reviews of the Moto G and read some user reviews too and am really quite surprised at how positive most of them are. I think this could be a good phone for her (especially for that price). She is not a geek (still having problems with widgets and many other basic stuff after 4 years with SGS2 and Android), so the simplicity of the Android OS on that would be nice for her. The only concern to me is the 8GB memory. Her SGS2 is 8GB and she is constantly out of memory. Having to delete photos and messages just to keep operating. I cannot seem to find the 16GB version, it is out of stock in many places, but will keep an eye on that.

I have also forgot about the coming Black Friday thingy. That phone might be on sale, which would be very nice thing indeed (I will also be looking at NAS, but that's another matter), so I plan to wait for that day / weekend to hunt for a good deal.

As usual, big thanks to everybody who contributed. Your input is very much appreciated. Thank you :)

The specs here suggests that it has expandable memory:
Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) - Full phone specifications

16GB Memory cards are around £5 now and 32GB around £10 so worth grabbing one and putting it in. Before you give it to her, you can set all camera images to save to memory card as well. She will still view them as normal in the gallery but it won't eat up phone space.

The specs here suggests that it has expandable memory:
Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) - Full phone specifications

16GB Memory cards are around £5 now and 32GB around £10 so worth grabbing one and putting it in. Before you give it to her, you can set all camera images to save to memory card as well. She will still view them as normal in the gallery but it won't eat up phone space.
Thanks. I was also thinking about that as well. One of the reviewers mentioned and showed the process and it is a great idea. Of course Android has problems with installing apps on SD cards, but even if she can get the photos there, it will be an improvement. I will also keep an eye on the 16GB version. It seems to be out of stock even on the Motorola UK website.

Many thanks for your input Qwerty :hiya:

Most welcome. :)

I'm thinking about that Moto G and honestly am stuck. I'm not sure is the phone really worth £170 (for the 16GB version). Seems like a lot of money for a "budget" smartphone.

I can recommend the S4, had one for 2 yrs, just upgraded to a Sony Z5 compact today

I can recommend the S4, had one for 2 yrs, just upgraded to a Sony Z5 compact today
I know, I use one myself :) Problem is, you can't buy them new anymore (or at least I can't find from a reputable place), second hand ones seem to be few as well, usually selling fast.

I know, I use one myself :) Problem is, you can't buy them new anymore (or at least I can't find from a reputable place), second hand ones seem to be few as well, usually selling fast.

Why not get the 8GB version of the Moto G and get a cheap memory card, yes you lose 1GB of RAM but it doesn't affect the phone that much.

Why not get the 8GB version of the Moto G and get a cheap memory card, yes you lose 1GB of RAM but it doesn't affect the phone that much.
Yes, that is the option I would like the best. I could get it from O2 or Amazon or many other places, the 16GB is only available directly from Motorola by the looks of it. However, her current phone - SGS2 - is 8GB as well and it is constantly warning about being full. We have went through her apps, deleted anything that is not needed. We copied all her photos to her PC, deleted from the phone. Still full.

8GB is really not that much. I think only half of it is really usable. Ideally I'd prefer her to have 16GB. I mean I would like to stop her moaning about the phone at least for a while :)

But a 16GB memory card would cost you £4.50 on amazon lol.

£169 for the 16GB version

£139 for the 8GB version with a 16GB memory card.

But a 16GB memory card would cost you £4.50 on amazon lol.
Yes, but you can't install any apps or anything like that on a memory card. You can only transfer photos there. But the photos are not a problem as I found out when deleted every single one from her phone. It is the internal memory full. I suspect most of it is Facebook and all the crap it installs. She really doesn't have many apps on her phone.

Yes, but you can't install any apps or anything like that on a memory card. You can only transfer photos there. But the photos are not a problem as I found out when deleted every single one from her phone. It is the internal memory full. I suspect most of it is Facebook and all the crap it installs. She really doesn't have many apps on her phone.

You can move them to the SD card.

You can move them to the SD card.
Yes. In theory. IIRC if you press the "move to SD" and try to move Facebook there. It only moves less than 1MB to SD, the rest stays on the internal memory as before.

EDIT: It is actually 48KB Facebook moves. Scroll to 17:00 min

Last edited:
Have you had a look in Application Manager on the phone and see what is taking up the space, facebook on mine is only 300Mb so..

Might be worth checking how much cache the Facebook app is using. Settings > Applications Manager (or similar) > Facebook. You might be able to clear the cache. I say might because I don't know what version of Android here current phone will be on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom