Trust soundcard SPDIF is only stereo

SimonInd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just installed the Trust 511 soundcard with SPDIF co-ax out but am finding everything is being output in stereo. In PowerDVD 4.0 I have the Audio Output set to SPDIF, however the Hardware Information is showing :
Multispeakers Audio Device : Not Detected
SPDIF Output Device : Not Detected

I'm finding DD soundtracks appear to be downmixed to ProLogic, the Trust is then resampling this at either 44 or 48kHz (selectable) before sending it on to my amp. DTS is just absent.

Do I need a digital link between the CDRW/DVD-ROM drive and the Trust card? It has an input for this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

I have no experience with this card, but from the specs it looks pretty standard. I wouldn't have thought the digital DVD->Card cable was needed, AFAIK that's only useful for non-PC driven playback or some digital extraction processes.

Sounds to me like a configuration/setup problem, something doesn't recognise the SPD/IF exists. I see it comes with WinDVD, I wonder if installing that as a test may shed light on it.

What operating system are you using? What does Device Manager show about the card? In my Audigy setup there's mixer amp that I need to ensure is configured so that downmixing doesn't occur, is there something similar to that with the Trust card I wonder?

Hi Simon,

I used one of these cards in my pc for a while before going back to my Creative Live! card for Linux support. If your amp is showing the signal from the Trust as being PCM @ 44/48 (or similar), then I would say that the card is working fine - when outputting a stereo signal, this is what my amp would show.

I reckon that your problem is likely to be the version of PowerDVD that you are running.

Some copies of PowerDVD that are bundled with bits of hardware have been known to have a reduced feature set. Assuming that the version you have is not a full copy purchased from a store, it is possible that the version you have has had the ability to pass a DD 5.1 stream through the SP/DIF has been disabled. Other known 'disabilities' in PowerDVD include analogue output being restricted to stereo, with no support for multi-speaker configurations.

Try downloading a trial version of powerdvd or windvd and seeing if they work ok. I know that these demo versions will usually only play the first 5 miniutes of a movie, but that's enough to confirm that your hardware is working ok.

There is also a freeware player that you can download here. Not sure if it supports digital audio outputs, but as it's free it would be worth a try!

Keep us posted on your progress.....
Tony

Thanks guys, I tried the bundled WinDVD and I just get 'The application tried to perform an illegal action' errors when I play a disc. However I downloaded the trial PowerDVD 5.0 and had DD5.1 and DTS working perfectly through S/PDIF for the allowed 5 minutes so the hardware's fine. Looks like I'm now needing to buy some playing software - any recommendations?

I'm going to try the latest WinDVD as a comparison, anything else worth looking at?

Thanks again

Simon

get theatertek

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom