1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trust Optical Expert sound card help

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Darren Blake, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,

A while ago I was singing the praises of the Trust "budget" Optical Expert sound card in this very forum. Now it appears that I have a problem with it.

To summarise, any music that I play through my PC sounds "garbled" slightly. I'm not sure how to fully describe the problem, but it seems to get worse the more complex the music is. Also, it seems worse on compressed formats like MP3 than WAV. I may be imagining it, but the garbling seems worse on higher bitrate MP3s (128) than lower ones (112).

I have played CDs through my card directly to my amp (Denon 1803 in 5 speaker stereo mode) and there is no garbling. Therefore, despite the thread title, the problem may be in the way my PC is passing data off the disk to the soundcard, rather than the soundcard itself.

The disk is a 7200rpm 80Gb unit with a 2Mb cache, so speed shoudn't be an issue. Also, I'm sure that previously (with my old on-board AC97 sound card) playback was fine.

The only other thing I have changed is that I have installed DirectX 9 as part of the installation for the Enter the Matrix game.

Does anyone have any ideas where this garbling is coming from? Should I have re-installed the sound card drivers after the DirectX 9 installation?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    It might seem a bit odd, but can you write some MP3s to CD and try playing them?

It could be that the garbling is being caused by noise generated when the hard drive is running. It's probably unlikely, but worth trying.

You shouldn't generally need to reinstall drivers after installing DirectX, but I guess it's worth a shot.

The final option would be to roll back the DX9 and Matrix game installs (if you can).

What are the other specs of the system?

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi.

Do you mean actually playing the MP3 files off a CD ROM, rather than using MP3s as a source for an audio CD?

If so, then I can try that easily, because I have an in-car MP3 player that takes CD RWs. I'll give it a go tonight.

I have checked the Trust website to see what the current version of the drivers is. If that differs to what I have then I'll download it and re-install.

I don't really want to uninstall DX9, if it is even possible.

Other system specs:

RAM 256Mb DDR
    Processor: 1.7Ghz Celeron
    64Mb DDR NVidia 4x graphics card

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Yeah, you could try that, but I was thinking that you write the MP3s to CD, and then play them on the PC.

I've only just bought my card, and the drivers on the CD were the same as the ones on their website.

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well I was having a play around on the advice of another colleague who had advised me to change the "PCI latency" figure in the BIOS. I changed this from 32 to 64 and the garbling went away so I'll assume that this is a fix. Don't really like it though because I don't know what it is I've done. Have asked said mate for more info.

On the subject of drivers, my CD has "Version 1.0" on it. I think the drivers on their website are now "Version 2.0" What does it say on your CD ROM?

Cheers,

6. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Cool, as long as you're sorted :) My driver CD is v3.0. Make of that what you will :D