1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trust 714DX sound For pc>amp?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by TopMeTom, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a lot of confusion surrouds sound cards.

If you are intending connecting to an external decoder you will only need passthrough from the player to the digital output. The card won't be doing anything at all to the signal.

When you see a 7.1 card advertised it means it has a decoder on board that will decode the digital track and output it to the 7.1 speaker outputs. You don't need this when you connect via spdif to an amp/receiver.

If you are connecting these 7.1 analogue outputs to the analogue in on the amp then indeed you will need a high quality card such as the Audigy 2ZS or better.

All you need for spdif passthrough is a good old Soundblaster Live 1024 or equivalent. It should cost you less than a tenner!

Don't buy thr Trust. I have spent many frustrating hours trying to get mine to do passthrough but it stubbornly refuses to do so. It's more intended for game players with their 7.1 speakers plugged into the back of the sound card.

Dave

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    does a 1024 require a digital extra i/o board?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did you do for sound in the end? I've just bought a 5100 and I'm looking for a simple USB device to give be the DD stream via s/pdif or toslink.

Dave

5. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, I did this last night. I bought the following:

Sound Blaster Live 7.1 24Bit sound card for £20
    3.5mm mono to Phono connection from Maplin in the UK from here

Connected my normal coax digital cable to this connection and the other end to my av amp coax connection, set up the software to output to spdif and that's it. Passes DD and DTS great!!!

All that for less than £22

And I had an HDA Digital Mystique 7.1 Gold card, which had appalling drivers which wouldn't work. It cost me £58. It says a lot for passthrough :)