Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Trunking and sheilding of mains cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ian_guinan, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm sorry if this overlaps a bit with the DIY mains cable sticky but I'm looking for something a little different.

I'm putting my Van Damme co-axial component leads up to my wall mounted projector in some nice cornice style mini trunking I've ordered to go above a dado rail.

Could someone help me out as I'm not sure whether I need to get screened mains cable as it is going to sit in the mini-trunk with the 3x10m component leads (or is the sheilding of the 75ohm cable enough) ..I'm hoping to put an IEC connector at the projector end of the sheilded cable and a mains plug the other to completely replace the projector flex.

I've read through the DIY mains cable thread and have really managed to confuse myself as to what is the best mains cable..looking for something cheap enough to provide some sheilding and yet not break the bank at 10m length.

I'd be interested to see how others have managed to get video and power up to their projectors in similar circumstances.

Has anyone any useful suggestions, and if they know of a suitable cable could they give me a reference for it (blank faces all round when I've asked for this at my local electrical wholesalers).

Final daft question....whats to stop you doing true DIY and wrapping ordinary mains cable in foil and heatshrinking/braiding over it?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    It's certainly worth keeping high level cables(i.e. mains etc)away from low level signal cables,and screening is an answer when you do have to run them together.
    The problem is the cost....even fairly standard screened mains cable isn't cheap at £12/m and the really good stuff(Kimber etc )goes up to £14/foot!

http://www.shopfox.co.uk/hi-fi/1105.htm

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In the end I lifted the floor boards upstairs and routed both signal and power cables in the space between upstairs floorboards and downstairs ceiling. I made sure that cables always crossed at 90 degrees and didn't run parrallel, and to be honest it wasn't that difficult to do, the complete install took about a day including lifting floor boards and putting back down.

If your using trunking which should be fairly easy to do, how about just trying shielded signal cables and if you notice interference then redo with shielded mains. I actually compared my routed cable (10M) with a direct (2M) run to my amp to see if their was any noticable difference before putting the floor back down.

If the trunking allows how about making some spacers to keep the signal and power cables apart a bit, or gluing the cable into the trunking a few drops of superglue should do it.

Anyway hope that helps a bit.

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ceiling has wonderful victorian plaster coving which I've been told I'm not allowed to hack into, hence the reason I'm trying to come up from below.

There is a large dado rail which I'm hoping to discreetly place the mini-trunking above..I'd thought about sheilding inside the trunking instead of sheilded cable...any thoughts about finding a suitable divided trunking and lining it with something to sheild it?

Regards,

Ian Guinan

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Ian,

I would suggest CY Control cable.

Should cost about £1 per metre or maybe less for 1.5mm2 from Electrical wholesalers.

Just ask for 'CY control cable' , 3 core 1.5mm should do.
    2.5mm might be too big for the trunking and to fit in the IEC connector.

It's not high end, but it is screened and cheap :)

Maybe someone who made some of the DIY mains cables a while ago might have some left? CY was the cable used I think.

Mark.

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Mark..that sounds like the sort of thing (and I like the price!)..

Now..I need to find somewhere that'll sell me less than 30m of MK cornice 40mmx40mm trunking (at £3.50/m..!)...

Ian Guinan

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have you tried cpc.co.uk ? They may be worth a try

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much CY control cable do you need? I have some 3 core 0.75mm, 1.5mm and a bit of 2.5mm left from the powerbuy we did a while ago. CPC only sell it by the 50m reel, and I have a feeling they are cutting down on it, as the 0.75mm 50m reels were discontinued when I tried to get more, so I ended up having to buy 100m.

Otherwise I think Farnell sell it by the metre, but it's a lot more expensive than the per metre cost off the reel.

Richard

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Richard, I'll PM you.

Ian Guinan

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Great solution Mark. I whole heartedly agree. Screen the mains. screen the signal. Keep as far apart as possible.

Gordon