Trumps State visit- Monday 3rd June

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is certainly a controversial figure. But as a President of a country, he should afforded all the usual trappings of a state visit.
We have the usual suspects grandstanding. Our mayor has given permission for the blimp and will probably take every opportunity to snub him. But is he firming up his core supporters in London?
As for Bercow.... well he should at least try to understand that the job of speaker should have a modicum of neutrality.
Trump's UK state visit: What's happening?

Khans grandstanding is understandable - anything to divert attention from his failure to tackle crime in the capital.

He's backed Boris as PM , but Then he would
who-has-the-craziest-hair-donald-trump-or-boris-johnson-136398725531003901-150617134029.jpg

So Khan is really pulling the stops out to insult the President. He is now a fascist.
- never mind Knife crime- we can wait 10 years for the Glasgow solution to kick in...

Khan has decided to speak for me as a Londoner and the country! He does not speak for me as a Londoner. I suspect he talks for less people outside London. He should put is personal feud to one side.
Sooner this mayor goes the better- total embarrassment.

A winning team.. :smashin:

Well not for me , whilst I voted to leave the EU Boris used it in his unsuccessful attempt to become PM, and still is .

The words come out his mouth but he ain't no leaver and never was or will be .

But as a President of a country, he should afforded all the usual trappings of a state visit.
A formal state visit for such a controversial, regressive and divisive individual was always going to be a bad idea. The visit was orchestrated by the Conservative Party and approved by the Queen. It is their visit and, frankly, everyone else has the right to protest about it if they wish.

I do think it is unfortunate that the protests will deflect from the D Day commemorations but the Queen/Government would have factored that into their thinking when they invited him.

Again - it is not the individual attending a state visit, it is the President.

A formal state visit for such a controversial, regressive and divisive individual was always going to be a bad idea. The visit was orchestrated by the Conservative Party and approved by the Queen. It is their visit and, frankly, everyone else has the right to protest about it if they wish.

I do think it is unfortunate that the protests will deflect from the D Day commemorations but the Queen/Government would have factored that into their thinking when they invited him.
Without googling it, which other Presidents in recent times have we not invited on a state visit because "we" didn't like them?

Without googling it, which other Presidents in recent times have we not invited on a state visit because "we" didn't like them?
I admit I cheated and used Google!

As far as I can see only George Bush and Obama had formal state visits hosted by Elizabeth II. So I suppose the question is why is Trump so exceptional to warrant such a visit?

Dwight Eisenhower
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush

;)

I am sure he does. With the UK in such a weak negotiating position, there is nothing they couldn't force us to take. Chlorinated chicken, reduction in safety standards, access to internal NHS etc.

This kinda reminds me of this clip..

There is currently lots of talk in the media about privatising the NHS and USA insurance and drug companies.

I am sure he does. With the UK in such a weak negotiating position, there is nothing they couldn't force us to take. Chlorinated chicken, reduction in safety standards, access to internal NHS etc.
How exactly will they force us?

We have huge trade with the USA already.

Relax - nobody will be forcing you to eat chlorinated chicken..

Although why Chlorinated Chicken is such a big deal for a country that puts Chlorine in its drinking water escapes me..o_O

Relax - nobody will be forcing you to eat chlorinated chicken..

Although why Chlorinated Chicken is such a big deal for a country that puts Chlorine in its drinking water escapes me..o_O
Obviously it will be devastating if the less well off have access to perfectly safe to eat but cheaper chicken.

I think many people appreciate the safe end to end rearing of chicken vice the US model where hygiene and welfare considerations are secondary because the faeces encrusted meat is just dipped in chlorine at the end of the process.

One of the good things about a royal family. Dignitaries love them.

Five potential flashpoints for Trump's visit

The president has no incentive to mess things up - he clearly likes the pomp and pageantry of royalty and will want the pictures to look good back home ahead of his re-election campaign.

Obviously it will be devastating if the less well off have access to perfectly safe to eat but cheaper chicken.

It's not perfectly safe though.
... and it's not because it's been chlorine washed, but why.

The chickens are chlorine washed because they have to be to reduce the higher levels of bacteria on them compared to UK chickens.
Relying on Chlorine washing instead of better animal welfare and hygiene standards can and does reduce the costs, but it increases the risk of food poisoning because it doesn't reduce the risks of contamination to levels enough to offset (not only surface contamination, chlorination does not remove any contamination that has penetrated the meat) - the percentage of deaths from food poisoning in the US is 6 times higher than the UK as an example.

So disregarding the chlorine risk, the issue is one of cheaper direct costs to the farmer/supply chain versus less healthy and well looked after chickens, higher risks of food poisoning and the indirect costs on the economy from lost workdays and increased NHS usage.

the bbc being respectful and unbiased...

victoria derbyshire show (bbc2), 10am today.

Attachments

• 19F43CF6-C763-44D0-B789-0FEB38812FCC.jpeg
    19F43CF6-C763-44D0-B789-0FEB38812FCC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom