• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trumotion 200Hz Cinema 3d tv

47LW650s

Established Member
I've a question about the trumotion with the new Cinema 3d televisions.

There will be a new firmware for these televisions.
But You need to turn off TruMotion to utilize the new algorithm..

Can anyone tell me what happens when you need to turn off TruMotion?
Is Trumotion combined with the 200Hz, or is this seperate from each other?

Is the television working with 200Hz when Trumotion is turned off?

kemixtry

Standard Member
I've bought the 450 version of this and have been on to LG about the Tru-motion not turning off or even having the ability to do so in 3D. It creates jagged edges and tearing all over the place on fast moving objects.
There was a slight hint that the 200hz sorts this out and fortunately I'm still in my 30days.

Apparently the 200hz compensates for the tru-motion so it isnt needed as much because the frequency is doing the work rather than software. I don't know though.....

kenfowler3966

Established Member
I've bought the 450 version of this and have been on to LG about the Tru-motion not turning off or even having the ability to do so in 3D. It creates jagged edges and tearing all over the place on fast moving objects.
There was a slight hint that the 200hz sorts this out and fortunately I'm still in my 30days.

Apparently the 200hz compensates for the tru-motion so it isnt needed as much because the frequency is doing the work rather than software. I don't know though.....

In 3d, you can access the video setting and turn off the true motion from there. Only the 650 has 200hz available the 450 and 550 are 100hz

dennett316

Prominent Member
In 3d, you can access the video setting and turn off the true motion from there. Only the 650 has 200hz available the 450 and 550 are 100hz

Not on the 450 set you cant. The Q.Menu and Home Menu functions don't work in 3D mode, you can only change the AV Modes between Standard, Cinema or Game. I tried watching a 3D blu (Piranha 3D) and the dreaded TV sitcom effect kicked in. It was played through a PS3, not sure if that had any effect on it, but not sure why it would TBH.

I play SBS MKV's through my Asus O!Play and don't notice the same effect, so perhaps it's only when watching full stereoscopic 3D.

Gizmo 76

Prominent Member
Not on the 450 set you cant. The Q.Menu and Home Menu functions don't work in 3D mode, you can only change the AV Modes between Standard, Cinema or Game. I tried watching a 3D blu (Piranha 3D) and the dreaded TV sitcom effect kicked in. It was played through a PS3, not sure if that had any effect on it, but not sure why it would TBH.

I play SBS MKV's through my Asus O!Play and don't notice the same effect, so perhaps it's only when watching full stereoscopic 3D.

If you set the input to Game or PC it might well turn off the 'TruMotion' on your sets, but it might also restrict what adjustment controls you have available to you as well... but is worth a try because 'TruMotion' can cause some horrible artefacts at times!

kemixtry

Standard Member
Tonight I watched Tangled in 3D but put the setting to expert 1 first; usually when the PS3 comes on it automatically goes to game setting.
It seemed to be slightly better but still there were moments even the mrs went 'urgh' at the movement as the screen or characters moved about.

I wouldnt mind though, when it is playing 3D and is working without issues, the picture and 3D is superb. We often pause a scene with excellent detail, colour and 3D just to go 'wow'. :)
Tron Legacy though, that looks like a hi-res tru motion disaster at times with the problems.

When I called LG tech support, the guy on the other end seemed to be surprised when I said you can't change any settings during 3D. Even he admitted it sounds like a tru-motion conflict error with 3D but with no possibility of turning it off.

Gizmo 76

Prominent Member
Tonight I watched Tangled in 3D but put the setting to expert 1 first; usually when the PS3 comes on it automatically goes to game setting.
It seemed to be slightly better but still there were moments even the mrs went 'urgh' at the movement as the screen or characters moved about.

I wouldnt mind though, when it is playing 3D and is working without issues, the picture and 3D is superb. We often pause a scene with excellent detail, colour and 3D just to go 'wow'. :)
Tron Legacy though, that looks like a hi-res tru motion disaster at times with the problems.

When I called LG tech support, the guy on the other end seemed to be surprised when I said you can't change any settings during 3D. Even he admitted it sounds like a tru-motion conflict error with 3D but with no possibility of turning it off.

Have you tried labelling the input as PC?

The 3D aspect might well kick the TV into a different mode though, which in turn will probably turn on your TruMotion.... but worth a shot.

47LW650s

Established Member
:lease:

Sorry for the question again, and maybe it souns a little bit stupid

What happens when you turn off the trumotion?

Is Trumotion only a picture optimizer with always 200Hz (for the 650)

or is the 200Hz also changing ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom