1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truely Joined the Planet of Plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Planet__, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Took delivery today of my Panny6 and a few other bits! :clap: The first thing to strike me is the size! Wow! Then the quality once I got to switch it on! At first I noticed a bit of a flicker, but like the one I saw on demo, it disappeared after awhile - or I got used to it!

It wasn't all plain sailing. The stand was missing as was my mission centre speaker, the sub was the wrong colour and the Pioneer DV757Ai wasn't hacked to multi-region like I had paid for! It'll get sorted, I'm a patient man!

Watched The Matrix first of all then Final Fantasy, with BIG picture and BIG sound, WOW! :D

Sky is a little questionable - slightly grainy and a bit of saturation of reds, but I've not had time to tweak it. Or replace the Syncblaster cable with a JS converter (need to buy one first!). Too busy playin'!

PS2 was just nuts playing it at that size! Reminded me of playing the PC on a projector borrowed from work, but usable during daylight :laugh: Anti-Aliasing and flicker is very evident though, don't know if a better PS2-component cable will help.

Need to do a thorough set-up, cya!

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,
    I've seen Sky on a PW6 via JS converter, when the bitrate is good the picture is very good. I did not notice any red saturation during the demos I had.

Enjoy, I wish I'd got the courage to buy one !

Steve.

3. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Planet__

Welcome to plasmaville :smashin:

DVD :cool:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your prob with sky could well be down to the synchblaster, I've used both, and there is a difference. However, it doesn't sound like it's spoiling life for you, enjoy!

5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Planet__

A lot of CRT users set their Sky Digiboxes' contrast settings to 'High' to get a better picture. On plasmas, it generally looks better with the contrast set to 'Low', this might help with the colour over-saturation. Plus, it's better to have the contrast (white level) turned down on the display as low as you can stand for the first 100 hours to reduce the (limited) risk of screen burn.

Yes, get the JS cable, you won't regret it!

Welcome to plasma :smashin:

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers for the comments guys!

Steve36 - find the courage!
    Dvd - cheers, the Planet is orbiting!
    Maw - an order for a js conv is in order - Close Encouter's the other night showed up some blatant banding, the first time I even noticed it really. You're right, it ain't spoiling life at all!
    Andrew_B - I've yet to tweak the display but did all the usual stuff when it was first switched on. I need a good few hours to do it, when I'd rather watch something else!

I've posted some 'prelim' pictures of my setup on the 'Get your plasmas ..' thread, like my designer stand? :laugh:

For anyone interested, here's how I connected it all up:

[​IMG]

The help of this list was invaluable. Thanks to everyone that helped!

Alan